Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
139
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,127 Posts1,056,680 Members48,452 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 128 | I am about to reassemble my 1951 235 and I just have a couple of questions before I get started. What do you guys recommend for assembly lube. Any specific brand or type?
As for gasket sealant, is it necessary? I have a copper head gasket, so I know I need the copper gasket sealant for that, but do I use it on both sides of the head gasket? What about sealant for the rest of the gaskets?
Also, where can I find the specs for all the different torques on the engine. I know the head bolts for the 51 are 75-80 lbs, but what about the main bearing and connecting rod torque? Are there any others?
Thanks, guys. I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I want to get it done right.
1946 2 Ton Flatbed
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | I won't "touch" the sealant question except to say with todays "modern" additives/sealants I would probably follow the manufacturer's suggestions unless some experienced mechanics have a specific recommendation. Jerry, where are you?!! You can get the torque info from the online manuals from the link below.... but I'd still buy my own shop manual and assembly manual. They are not pricey... well worth the money and you can keep them handy in the shop. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/ | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 461 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 461 | Using the black rtv sealant myself...walmart has it about six bucks a tube.Here's a link for the torque spec's and more. http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/373.cfmHank | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | I pretty much despise silicone sealants, although I admit there are a very limited number of places where they work well.
For most gaskets I use Permatex #2, a very thin smearing on both sides, just enough that when installed it squeezes out a tinny tiny bit and you can see you used it, but not enough to squeeze out a blob that you'd then want to wipe off.
For valve cover gaskets I use contact cement, sold by Caterpillar as gasket adhesive and often called "cat glue". apply it to the cover and one side of the gasket, stick them together. Leave the head side dry, or some folks use a dab of grease, but the idea is to not have the gasket stick to the head, then valve adjustments are easy and the gasket is reusable for years and years.
I've used the copper gasket spray on head gaskets, and think it works OK but really don't have an opinion on it.
For the rubber seals on your oil pan around the main bearings I would use a dab of black RTV in the corners. Then permatex #2 for the side gaskets as mentioned.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,228 | NAPA or any of the local stores care Lubriplate assembly grease, http://www.lubriplate.com/products/greases/no-105-motor-assembly-grease.htmlUse plenty of it, and use plenty of camshaft assembly grease, http://www.compcams.com/products/250-267.pdf, or your choice of cam manufacturers. Use plenty of this stuff as well. Its best not to wait to long to start the engine after assembly because the cam lube will run off, and with the oil problems now a days, you need all the cam lube you can get. Read up on oils if this is a new camshaft, your engine isn't like a full on race engine with tons of valves spring pressure, but you still need to be aware of the dangers and concerns with modern oils. Joe | | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 128 | Thanks, guys. This is extremely helpful. Is the lubriplate safe to use on the cylinder walls? If not, then what? Also, and I've received different opinions on this one, what weight engine oil should I use???
1946 2 Ton Flatbed
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | straight 30 weight oil is a good start, that's what I used. It's also good to use on the pistons/cylinders and anywhere else in the engine you don't use a special assembly grease or oil.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 720 | For assembly I use GM assembly lube, you can get it at any GM dealer shop off the shelf. It can be used inside the cylenders and spread liberaly on everything else. There is also the cam assembly lube, it's a bit thicker to keep it from being wiped right off, but not absolutely needed with the lower spring pressures in our old engines. As far as sealants, I'm partial to Gunk Aviation Form-a-gasket for most surfaces, I've had pretty good luck wit it overall. Still, making sure you have good clean and flat surfaces for your gasket makes all the difference. Not a fan of silicone anything on engines, I always find it squeezed out internaly & it ends up inside water passages & oil galleries. 1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber" 2007 Chevy Avalanche 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things. But thats just MY opinion! :P
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 128 | Again, thanks guys for all the helpful information. One last question: should I use synthetic oil or not? Grigg, when you say straight 30 weight, do you mean SAE 30? I don't know much about oil except for what's going on in the gulf.
1946 2 Ton Flatbed
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Grigg, when you say straight 30 weight, do you mean SAE 30? Yep, that's the stuff. I'd be hesitant to try synthetic because I've had a very difficult time finding it in a straight weight, all of it seems to be a multi weight (like 10W30 for example). There is probably some you could use, but I don't have any recommendations or knowledge on the subject. Grigg | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 461 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 461 | One advantage to Permatex RTV is that it dries inside outward and cures properly and quick. Some of the off brand budget stuff doesn't. Just my .02.
Hank | | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 128 | SAE 30 it is. Thanks again, guys. Extremely helpful. Sorry for all the questions. I have one more (hopefully the last for a while): should I use the gasket sealant on the manifold and carburetor gaskets? Probably a stupid question, but I thought I'd ask anyways...
1946 2 Ton Flatbed
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Could use the copper spray gasket stuff on the hot manifold gaskets. I usually don't use anything.
Don't usually use anything on carburetor gaskets either, including the base to manifold gasket, unless there is a problem, then I'd lightly use Permatex #2.
Grigg | | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 128 | Thanks, Grigg, and thanks everyone else. I'll keep you guys updated. Expect more questions to come...
1946 2 Ton Flatbed
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | RTV should only be used in places where it is going to be the gasket, or at points where 2 gaskets join as Grigg said. It is not intended nor does is work very well as a sealant with a gasket.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | And to add to that, If their was originally a gasket then use the gasket, don't substitute RTV.
That'll help whittle down the list of places to use that stuff, getting really close to zero on these old trucks. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | And to add to that, If their was originally a gasket then use the gasket, don't substitute RTV. Agreed, with only 1 exeption. I would not have an issue with using rtv if a replacement gasket simply isn't available, but that isn't an issue with any Chevrolet engine.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,837 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,837 | I like to use Permatex Super 300 brush-on liquid sealer to coat gaskets such as for the water pump, timing cover, and other thin paper gaskets. I use yellow trim cement to stick gaskets like the valve cover and the oil pan side rails down before bolting them into place, usually on one side only. It's not really necessary for sealing, it just makes the oil pan and valve cover easier to install. Ditto for the side cover, especially if it's one of the tall ones with the small cork circles around the spark plug holes.
Head gaskets- - - - -solid metal ones need some brush-on sealant to help seal water, not compression. Put a sandwich-type gasket on dry, but be sure both surfaces are completely clean and free of debris. I use anti-sieze compound on all bolts that are torqued, rod and main bearings, head bolts, etc. Cam & lifter lube- - - - -either use what the cam grinder supplies, or lithium-additive grease such as Lubriplate to coat the cam lobes and lifter bottoms. Another good break-in lube for a cam is lightweight grease with a Molybdenum Disulfide additive. Always do a 20-minute breakin of a new cam at 2,000 RPM or so to assure plenty of oil thrown off the crankshaft to flood the cam with lube while it's establishing a running fit with the lifters. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |