The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Nick in Manitou, Gray_Ghost, Shade Baby, J Lucas, TUTS 59, Bill Hanlon, papas52, 2 invisible), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 81
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 81
I am planning on replacing the entire set of hydraulic lifters in my 62 1/2 ton -235 c.i. engine. How do I adjust the lifters to get the engine started? Do I follow the procedures used for solids? If not how tight do I set each lifter to get the engine to start without damaging anything? Is it necessary to preload the lifters? Any suggestions will be appreciated. By the way the engine is a 55-57 truck engine that came with hydraulic lifters called a Blue Flame and is suspose to be adjusted 1 and 1/2 turns past zero clearance.


Green Machine
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Edabbs,

We would always fill a coffee can with oil, put the new lifters in and let them sit overnight.

I understood this would fill them and make the rest of the adjustment more pain free.

We could always see little bubbles floating to the surface, so I assume it worked.

Stuart

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I'd say to do as atomarc stated to pre-fill the lifters. Use the method for solids, but set them at 0, then re-adjust after warmup. The general concencus is that 1 1/2 turns is too much, usually 1/4-1/2 turn will suffice.
Also, I think you actually have a passenger car engine. The truck block wasn't drilled for hydraulics until '57, and even then they didn't have them until the '60s (though a few pass engines may have slipped out in trucks). The truck engines were refered to as TaskMaster, the Blue Flame was the passenger car designation.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 81
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 81
Thanks for the help Guys!


Green Machine

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0