| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
129
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,292 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#66175 09/21/2006 10:55 PM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 81 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 81 | I am planning on replacing the entire set of hydraulic lifters in my 62 1/2 ton -235 c.i. engine. How do I adjust the lifters to get the engine started? Do I follow the procedures used for solids? If not how tight do I set each lifter to get the engine to start without damaging anything? Is it necessary to preload the lifters? Any suggestions will be appreciated. By the way the engine is a 55-57 truck engine that came with hydraulic lifters called a Blue Flame and is suspose to be adjusted 1 and 1/2 turns past zero clearance.
Green Machine
| | |
#66176 09/21/2006 11:07 PM | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Edabbs,
We would always fill a coffee can with oil, put the new lifters in and let them sit overnight.
I understood this would fill them and make the rest of the adjustment more pain free.
We could always see little bubbles floating to the surface, so I assume it worked.
Stuart | | |
#66177 09/22/2006 1:37 AM | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I'd say to do as atomarc stated to pre-fill the lifters. Use the method for solids, but set them at 0, then re-adjust after warmup. The general concencus is that 1 1/2 turns is too much, usually 1/4-1/2 turn will suffice. Also, I think you actually have a passenger car engine. The truck block wasn't drilled for hydraulics until '57, and even then they didn't have them until the '60s (though a few pass engines may have slipped out in trucks). The truck engines were refered to as TaskMaster, the Blue Flame was the passenger car designation.
Bill Burmeister | | |
#66178 09/25/2006 4:49 PM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 81 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 81 | Thanks for the help Guys!
Green Machine
| | |
| |
| |