The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Goach2, John Dlugos, JW51, Jay R, wilbur53), 286 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,154
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 110
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 110
I am installing a '53 deluxe heater into my 1951 truck; however, I do have a couple of questions for the Gurus out there.

1. On the outside at the firewall there seems to be a trim around the motor but I can't find it on any catalog...what is it? Is it a metal trim (that's what it looks like to me)or a rubber gasket? It appears to be held in place with 3 bolts. I see in catalos a gasket kit with a round gasket but I would have assume to go between the inside of the firewall and the body of the heater???? Doesn't it?
2.The heater has a metal flat on the side that opens and closes (it faces the cab) How does it operates? It appears as if a cable should attach to it to open and close.
3. The defroster lever has a white end, a plastic cap. It appears to be used by hand but most pictures I see these are connected to a round end and a wire....

Any info would be greatly appreciated like always. Thx

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
The heater motor sticks through the firewall...I'm thinking its a fresh air heater. There is a metal trim ring that has a gasket behind it that goes to the outside of the firewall.(under the hood) Mine was already out so I can't give you "exact" details but I think the bolts go through and hold the motor...but not sure. You can make your own gasket out of just about anything.
If you don't find it send me a PM and I'll trace off mine and then you can make your own out of a piece of some appropiate metal. I have mind laying on a table now.

If you don't have a repair manual you will benefit from getting one. There are some on line if you like to check them out.

Since I haven't actually done my heater yet someone else that has will come along soon and maybe help you out more. In the meatime check out the link below.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

The 1954-55 deluxe heater is called an Air Flow heater because it has the interior door/flap.

1. The ring/rubber-seal on the firewall (around the motor) is available from Jim Carter.

2. That door is opening by a cable that usually runs under the dash to a mounting bracket to the left of the steering wheel. I do not know who sells this cable/knob assembly.

3. The 53-55 heater's defroster lever is just as you describe - it has a lever that you move with your hand. In earlier A-D years, the Fresh Air defroster was controlled by a cable similar to the cable used in 1953-55 for the interior Air Flow door (in #3, above).

Other deluxe heater gaskets/seals are available from Jim Carter and from Chevs of the 40s .

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 110
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 110
Ok, this helps me alot.

Let me just see if I understand....from the Jim Carter page above...If the dealer would have installed the fresh air heater then, they would have removed part MEH252 and MEH253, since these were blank plates? and instlled MEH254 on the firewall instead along with the heating unit?

The heater gaskets below MEH200on same page, I would assume one (rectangular) would go between the heater and the cowl kick panel? and the round one just underneath part MEH254???


Is this correct???

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

That looks right to me.

You'll use ME258 (two pieces) in the holes that the heater hoses pass through the cowl/fire-wall.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0