The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (bucktruck, Gdads51, 2 invisible), 115 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,637
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#656656 06/22/2010 10:50 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 30
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 30
I have a 1953 3100 that has two holes above the vent window and two holes below the vent window. Does anybody know what these could be for? There are identical holes on the driver's door. They may be for a mirror, but I can't find anybody selling a mirror that would be supported this way. Here is a link to a picture showing the holes: http://picasaweb.google.com/barthhc/DoorHoles#5485715672943627074

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 334
Those were most likely for a West Coast style mirror that a PO mounted. They had arms that bolted above and below the window. They were an aftermarket item 9probably from the 60's or 70's) - I don't know if anyone still makes them. I have an AD door or two with them on.
Samantha

Last edited by Samantha; 06/22/2010 10:59 PM.

1954 Chevy 3100
Picked from the Field
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 422
You should have plugged those holes before you painted it. A PO wanted big mirrors, not made for that truck.

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 30
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 30
What is a PO? I now agree that I should have plugged the holes. I did not notice the upper holes and I thought the lower holes were for a stock mirror.

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
PO = previous owner.I think i would weld them up and paint over.You have a really nice looking truck and color.


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
What color is that?


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 30
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 30
The color is Ocean Green. PPG's current number for it is 44621. It was originally Ditco DQE-41375 in 1953

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Nice color


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Ditto the color compliments. I have a few holes that I missed too. Fortunately none that obvious.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 176
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 176
Thumbs up on the color choice here too.

The original mirrors were mounted to the cowl. http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23314896 You may even be able to find the holes looking up from below (inside the cab). If you want to go this route more info is available. Just ask.

My 2 cents though is even though I love the look of the original mirrors, they are pretty tough to actually use. For a driver I prefer aftermarket mirrors. How hard did you look for mirrors that would fit the holes you already have?

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
I bought a door from Justhorsenaround when in Oklahoma that has bullet holes in it. They look different than these. Hehehe


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 30
H
New Guy
New Guy
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 30
The JR WEST COAST TRUCK MIRRORS sold on Ebay look like they will work, but I don't think they will look right.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Can't beat those west coast mirrors. I had them on a 60 Ford pickup once and you could see all the way across the bed to the other side of the truck.
There wasn't anything I couldn't see.


~Jim

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0