| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,118 Posts1,056,646 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 30 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 30 | I have a 1953 3100 that has two holes above the vent window and two holes below the vent window. Does anybody know what these could be for? There are identical holes on the driver's door. They may be for a mirror, but I can't find anybody selling a mirror that would be supported this way. Here is a link to a picture showing the holes: http://picasaweb.google.com/barthhc/DoorHoles#5485715672943627074 | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 334 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 334 | Those were most likely for a West Coast style mirror that a PO mounted. They had arms that bolted above and below the window. They were an aftermarket item 9probably from the 60's or 70's) - I don't know if anyone still makes them. I have an AD door or two with them on. Samantha
Last edited by Samantha; 06/22/2010 10:59 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 422 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 422 | You should have plugged those holes before you painted it. A PO wanted big mirrors, not made for that truck. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 30 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 30 | What is a PO? I now agree that I should have plugged the holes. I did not notice the upper holes and I thought the lower holes were for a stock mirror. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | PO = previous owner.I think i would weld them up and paint over.You have a really nice looking truck and color. 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 30 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 30 | The color is Ocean Green. PPG's current number for it is 44621. It was originally Ditco DQE-41375 in 1953 | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 |
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | Ditto the color compliments. I have a few holes that I missed too. Fortunately none that obvious. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 176 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 176 | Thumbs up on the color choice here too. The original mirrors were mounted to the cowl. http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23314896 You may even be able to find the holes looking up from below (inside the cab). If you want to go this route more info is available. Just ask. My 2 cents though is even though I love the look of the original mirrors, they are pretty tough to actually use. For a driver I prefer aftermarket mirrors. How hard did you look for mirrors that would fit the holes you already have? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | I bought a door from Justhorsenaround when in Oklahoma that has bullet holes in it. They look different than these. Hehehe
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 30 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 30 | The JR WEST COAST TRUCK MIRRORS sold on Ebay look like they will work, but I don't think they will look right. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | Can't beat those west coast mirrors. I had them on a 60 Ford pickup once and you could see all the way across the bed to the other side of the truck. There wasn't anything I couldn't see.
~Jim
| | |
| |
| |