The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TooMany2count, Forty9, Wally / Montana, 1 invisible), 79 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,566
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
I need some advise, I have stripped the complete truck to bare metal, painted the engine. Is it common to paint the firewall black like the one eastwood sells underhood black. I am not sure about color, and do not know about my ability to shoot the quality color properly but I need to keep moving as my garage lease is until September and need to get truck running. so I want to assemble the truck with primer and decide on the color and want to be able to drive the truck to paint shop if needed. Want to complete the engine area, primer and assemble the truck.

Any advise will help please?

Ganesh

Last edited by smokey_truck; 06/21/2010 6:35 PM.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

Make, model, year of truck?

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
52 AD 3/4 ton

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 40
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 40
I went with black, but then again I painted my truck black so it was easy. I would paint it a dark color for sure something you can keep clean easy. I'm not one for painting the firewall the same color as the rest of the vehicle, even on my truck I painted it semi gloss black.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 203
If you're going original, I think the firewalls were cab color.


Dave
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270

As Dave correctly stated, the 47-55 Chevrolet cab-firewall was painted body color on the engine side. The inner fenders, radiator/radiator-frame, frame-to-firewall brace-bars were a semi-gloss black.

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Whatever colour you choose, best to get final coat on while you can get at it. Difficult to finish nicely after motor installed.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...just another thought. On my panel I painted it body color down to where it started to "taper back/down". You can see what it looks like just as a body or with the engine in at my photobucket below. Hope this helps.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 946
I suggest you decided on a color and paint the firewall that color. If you just can't do that, then paint it black since it will go with just about any color.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0