Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,122 Posts1,056,332 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 20 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 20 | On May 30 I put about three quarts of MMO into the engine of my 57' that had been in two floods and was subsequently frozen. I know it has been sitting for about 15 to 20 years. My grandfather put some diesel in after the last time it was flooded with water. I drained the diesel out and took the spark plugs out and squirted some MMO into each then plugged the hole so nothing could find its way in. I waited two weeks, so last Sunday I took a wrench and tried to turn the crankshaft and to my surprise it moved. I continued to move it back and forth and got it to turn about 1/5 of a rotation. I then drained the engine again and put some more MMO in the spark plug holes and the top of the block. I'm going to wait another couple of weeks and see if I can move the crank any more. I did all of this without having to disassemble the engine. So if I get this to work I know that any other work I do on the engine will be worth it. Just thought I'd share my experience here. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 49 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 49 | It's a great idea, I've run that route myself, but I personally would go with Kroil, I've had great luck with it. Just hard personally to get enough of it to do anything with, too much time for 24 hours! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 | That's cool. I passed on a 65 Sprite that was for sale for 1800. It had been parked for 20 years in a carport. I knew the gastank and carbs were probably shot, but I decided against it cause the engine would not budge.
If I would have had your knowledge, I might have taken it up.
Just letting it "soak" for a couple of weeks might have done it.
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 | You should pop the valve cover off and check for stuck valves. Chances are that their are valves stuck open and some shut, the shut ones will bend push rods and the open ones could be bent by a piston coming over top dead center. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 20 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 20 | I'll make sure to check on the valves when I see if the crank will turn anymore. Thanks for the info. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,809 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,809 | MMO is good- - - -Kroil is better. They claim Kroil will find its way through a gap of one millionth of an inch. I know I can pit it into the cylinders on a ring-rusted engine, wait a few days, and drain it out of the oil pan to run it through again. www.kanolabs.comJerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 20 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 20 | I have a can of Kroil but without knowing exactly where all the corrosion was I used MMO so that when I do disassemble the engine and find the exact spots that are giving me problems I would still have the Kroil. I've heard good things about using Kroil from several people on here so I can't wait to see how it works. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,809 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,809 | I've recycled Kroil from an engine-freeing job by straining it through a couple of layers of coffee filter. Even if it gets a little dirty, it still has excellent penetrating ability. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 16 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 16 | About a year ago I read an article where they tested different penetrating solutions to see which one was the best. I can't remember where exactly I read it but anyway....they applied all of the popular brands that we are all familiar with and one that they custom mixed to rusted nuts on a bolt. They let them all set for the same period of time(not sure of the time) and then they used a torq wrench to measure the amount of force needed to remove the rusted nut.
The winner........the custom mixure of.....50% acetone.....50% power steering fluid.
....and now you know the rest of the story.....Paul Harvey.....Good day!!
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 326 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 326 | Craig;
I heard about the acetone and ATF mixture too. But, I had a little MMO around so I mixed that with equal parts of acetone. Worked fantastic! I loosened stuff that PB Blaster wouldn't touch. I'll have to try the ATF when this batch runs out.
SimS | | |
| |