Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,175 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 56 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 56 | My 51 truck seat didn't come with any kind of rod or cable that operates the driver side lever to move seat front and back. I can't find this rod or cable anywhere for sale, has anyone done this?? Ideas? Pictures? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | There is a rod that goes from driver side to passenger side and then in the middle of your seat where there is a support it runs through a rubber grommet (see www.ClassicParts.com item #28-911) to hold it up/in place. I have several seat rods if you send me a PM we can discuss. The reason why you don't see them for sale is they are 4' long and hard to ship. I think I have about 6 of them laying around. They came with the seat frames from 1951-1955 1st series. Maybe I could fold it and then ship it? Hmmmmm. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 1,517 | The best way to ship things like that is to drop it into a piece of PVC pipe and tape up the ends. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | Or a card board poster or document tube. Then mark 'EXPLOSIVE' on the side  | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 56 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 56 | If it is just a steel rod I could buy locally. Are the ends bent a certain way? Does anyone have pictures? I sure would appreciate if someone could pop their seat off and take a few for me. Thanks Brad, I may contact you if I come up empty handed! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,254 | BruceO. I would work with Brad on getting one shipped.
Dennis -there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | Bruce,
It has a couple bends on each end. I will shoot you some pictures. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 56 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 56 | thanks! I'm kind of a "like to create if I can guy". | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 56 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 56 | Brad, Thanks for photos, they say it all. I'm off to work on.
Thanks again! | | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 32 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 32 | I'm trying to figure out the seat set up as well. My assembly manual doesn't really cover the rod portion, and the old parts truck I took the seat frame and tracks out of already had the rod missing. So do the ends of the rod fit into the top holes on the sliding tracks?
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | There are two slotted holes near the center of each track the rod goes in there. Right across the middle of the seat frame is where it goes. There is about a 1/4" hole in the seat frames middle support where the grommet goes this then supports the rod's length to keep it from sagging or hanging up on the seat pan. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 32 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 32 | Is this the slotted holes you are referring to in this picture? http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx100/mrcrapps/DSCN0641.jpg Also, how important to the operation of the seat is this bar? Thanks for your help, Andy
Last edited by MrCrapps; 08/08/2010 3:59 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | No, look at this photo see the holes in the tabs themselves right in the center of the track. These tabs are what allow the seat to release so it will slide. The bar is the seat release for forward and back motion of the entire seat. http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2241223250102454676UcyPoL | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | You have the earlier cable style. Those 2 bolted clips on your tracks grab a hold of the cable and that is how it moves the seat back and forward. You do not need nor can you use the rod for this application. I was looking through my photos to see if I have a detail of how the cable attaches but have not found it yet. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 | any tips on removing the sliding bench seat from a 1949 chevy?
Last edited by aggie jon; 08/11/2010 8:16 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | Jon,
Once the cushions are out there should be 4-bolts holding the frame to the sliders (2-each side). Once they are out you undo the cable from the slider 2-bolts (one each side). That is all that holds the frame in on the 47-50 trucks. You may want to soak them in PB blaster for a day before you try and undo them as the back two collect crud and rust and often break. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 1,001 | After looking at the different styles, it seems clear to me that: 1. The seat sliders utilizing the rod both lock in any given position. the rod is connected to the lever when pulled also acts on the opposite slider to unlock it. 2. The seat sliders with the cable only has on slide that locks (side with lever). The cable clamped to both slides keep the far slide from moving. When you unlock and push the seat, the cable allows both slides to move together.
I am guessing the cable style system would operate easier as it seems it would help to keep the seat from binding when pushed fore or aft. | | |
| |