Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,131 Posts1,056,369 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | I'm just in the process of installing the senders for my new gauges. I've managed to squeeze the new oil temp sender in at the back to the left of the Distributor in it's original location.
Where's the optimum position for the water temp sender? I have a couple of options. #1 on the intake manifold near the thermostat housing. #2 the left hand head (Drivers side) just below the header.
Does it really matter where?
Opinions please....... 1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 1,624 | Nope. Either place is fine. The intake position requires one to run the wire across the manifold housing or down the front of the motor. So 'neatness' might be considered.
Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | Are you talking "stock" "original"? The stock unit won't reach. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | Agreed, Chevs of the 40s i think is where I got my longer temp gauge unit. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | Well, I used #2. but how did you squeeze the oil sending unit behind the distributor? , I had to run a plastic line all the way to under my dash and send the electrical sender there. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | Thanks guys, I'll probably go the manifold route. The sender came with several brass fittings in various sizes and it's a long reach unit.
gazim,Re; the Oil sender. I used the original brass 90 degree elbow that came on the engine,i'll take a picture and post a link, it is tight though.
I just hope i've enough room for engine movement. Just need to wait and see.........
Last edited by jockbolter50; 05/16/2010 6:24 AM.
1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | The factory stock unit will reach and work just fine if you just grind a flat spot on the left rear water runner and drill and tap it to 3/8 NPT. Then screw a sender fitting into the new hole and put the sender bulb in and tighten the factory square retaining nut down on the sender bulb. I don't know how to make a "link" but you can see one on a 53 AD at http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d41/coilover/ first picture.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | Gazim. Here's the pictures I promised. 'Scuse the dust! Oil Sender.There's another shot in the RH side bar. As you can see it's fairly tight in there,but there's more than enough room for engine/cab movement.
Last edited by jockbolter50; 05/16/2010 10:37 AM.
1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 13 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 13 | Did you do anything to the orginal firewall? I'm doing the same thing now, I put the street rod front floor pan in but now I'm wondering if I should have put the 4" set back fire wall in too.
A friend will bail you out of jail, but a real friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying we really F*****up this time.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | Shane, the only clearance I've done is trimming the firewall just above the trans opening, not so much that I can't use the original trans cover though. This was more to do with getting my pinion angles right rather than engine clearance. The only other issues I'm having is the trans dipstick is tight(easy fix) and fan clearance which i'm dealing with at the moment. The short water pump certainly helps. 1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I put the oil sender on the block, drivers side and the temp sender at the front of the intake. There was no way I could put the oil at the back of the engine.
~Jim
| | |
| |