The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (MickeyP, Dakota38), 127 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,408
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 78
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 78
Does anyone have any suggestions on what brand wiring harness to buy? I'm ready to install a 12 volt conversion on my 1953 1/2 ton. I'm looking for something with very good and easy instructions since I have never done this before. That is more important than the price. I am looking at Painless, American Autowire, and others but not sure which one has the best quality and ease of installation. I realize those may not go hand in hand. Thanks for your help.


1953 3100 Chevy 5 window
1971 Chevelle SS
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Painless gets my vote. Good quality, easy to follow instructions, and great customer service guys when you get stuck on something.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 58
'
New Guy
New Guy
' Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 58
I agree. Painless. There are others though. You can get a good price through Summit Racing. I'm putting a Painless harness in my 54 in about four months from now. The kit is Part Number 10104 and is a 12 Circuit Pickup Harness with a non GM Keyed Column. If you are going totally stock check with Summit and they will tell you if another harness will be more fitting for you.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I used Hot Rod Wires 12 circuit harness in my '56 and I bought another to put in my '54 pickup.

A lot cheaper than Painless and bigger wires where it counts. Very good instructions.

I bought a Painless harness from a guy who had given up on his project. I considered using it on my pickup but after looking it over, I sold it at a swap meet and bought another Hot Rod Wires Harness.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
i used "Ron Francis wiring"...great kit and super customer support


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 888
I purchased a 8 circuit generic kit from Rebel Wire. It is marked every 6" which should make easier to install. No I haven't installed yet. Glenn, the owner, was very customer friendly and gives a discount to Bolters. Have fun and good luck
Dan

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 78
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 78
Thanks guys, I'll check them out.


1953 3100 Chevy 5 window
1971 Chevelle SS
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 126
E
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 126
I just bought one of these form EZ Wire at a swapmeet for $160. I also havn't put it in yet, but it looks to be well made and has a nice fat instruction manual and adapters for various fittings etc. By far one of teh cheapest ones I found, but seems to be well made.

http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html

Theres a tech article by a guy that put one in his truck here:

http://alanhorvath.com/54chevy/ezwire_day1.php

This article is agreat step by step and actually gave me teh nerve to do this myself....

Hope that helps.

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
Keep an eye on E Bay for a name brand kit - can usually save some decent $$ there.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Hey guys, you need to at least check out the 'Black Box' panel from Enos Custom Components, first cabin quality and only $150.
I got to know these guys from our big Jan. swap meet some years ago. What really impressed me is that they custom design each panel/kit to the customer's vehicle. They had me fill out this complete questionare about my car, then the system arrived with pages of drawings and instructions just for my installation. Also they keep a file of their panels and customers so when you call with a question they can pull up your file and know exactly what's involved with your system. Check them out.
http://www.enoscustom.com/blackbox.html


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 104
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 104
I used a Ron Francis Kit. It couldn't have been easier, with very good instructions and a super tech support if there are problems. By the way, I had never done any wiring before and everything works!

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 5
Has anyone tried a harness from kwikwire?

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Please Start a new post and ask about harnesses. This old post may not be viable.

Last edited by Rusty Rod; 02/24/2019 10:01 PM.

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0