The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Napco Man, Gray_Ghost, Phak1, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, Southerntruck), 114 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,242
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#646942 05/16/2010 2:21 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 60
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 60
Is there a trick to locating the screw holes for the visors once the headliner is on? Looking back I should have made a template to reference where they were on the A pilar. The headliner did not fit properly so I am glad that I did not pre drill the holes.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Here is what worked for me:

- Get 6 cheap screws of the correct diameter (3 for each side).

- Grind the heads off the screws to obtain a tapered point at the top of each screw.

- Screw the screws into to the holes, leaving them out a little.

- Put the headliner into place and press the headliner onto the tapered screw-heads. Remove the headliner, drill-out the screw holes, and cut-out a hole between the three screws (so the pivot in the visor arm).

- Install the headliner and screw-in the visor arms.

- Have a beer or a cup of tea and admire your work.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Bob, I made a template of the holes on the driver side and just flipped it around to the passenger side, using an ice pick I picked up one of the holes then it was easy to find the other two.
http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/124610432
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Sounds like a logical and simple technique, Denny. I'll check the headliner sets that I got for my regular cabs and if they already have holes on the driver's side of the headliner, this will be easier than I described.

The headliner sets that I got for the Suburban had no holes on either side of the headliner (and, at that time, I had no new set for a regular cab). I guess that necessity was the mother of invention.

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Tim, I get from you reply that you were transfering the holes "when you were installing your headliner".
I think Bob already has the headliner installed and he was trying to locat the pre-drilled holes in the pillar behind the blank cardboard. The holes should already be in the pillar, mine were in my '50.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

If Bob has a headliner that is already installed and the headliner is already pre-drilled on the driver's side, your technique is excellent, Denny. If Bob's cardboard headliner is not pre-drilled for the driver's side visor (my cardboard headliners came with no holes for visors on either side), he would have no pattern to transfer to the other side.

Every A-D and ND cab I have seen (regular cab and panel body) was pre-drilled for visors on both sides (in the sheet metal above the pillars).

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 640
My headliner is in, and my new visors are in a drawer because of this. If someone comes up with a solution, I'm all ears.


1948 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Tuesdays with Morris"
In the Legacy Gallery
Find it - Fix it - Drive it
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Nothing is fool-proof to a talented fool. Unfortunately I believe that you will have to take the headliner back out to make a successful installation template. Tim seems to have a good idea in my humble opinion.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 91
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 91
Make a template from someone elses truck.There is plenty of trucks without headliners out there.Maybe a fellow stovebolter in your area could help you out?

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 60
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 60
Thanks for all of the tips. There is a long story behind the headliner installation...I'll spare you the long story but it just did't fit right...spaces gaps on the front, back and sides! For now I used Denny's suggestion with the ice pick and it worked great. New question for you now...when I put the new cardboard visor on the rod which is secure the visor just flops around. Is there a good way to crimp these or am i missing a part that would hold them snug to the rod? Thanks again for the help!

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
I believe there should be a long curved piece of spring steel in the visor that holds it tight to the rod.
DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 60
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 60
You are correct, but the there is no real pressure between the rod and the sleeve inside the visor. I almost want to try and crimp it a bit but that would probably score / crush the exterior of the visor. I'll keep at it and let you know what I figure out...should be on the road by mid June. All the body work and engine are done now. just a few things with the trans and differential which I am having a pro look at. Thanks!

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
I'm not sure, but I was told to give the rod a slight bend to tighten it up to the rod.
If this is not right I'll definitely be told so.


1953 Chevy Two-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Be careful calling yourself a expert,because an "EX" is a hasbeen and a"SPERT" is a drip under pressure.


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0