| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (Nhluvstruck, 32Fordpuchoptop, Bill Hanlon, DHedrick, Ponchogl, Southerntruck, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible),
125
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,283 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2010 Posts: 18 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2010 Posts: 18 | I'm not the restoration expert, but my fiance is. I want to get him a steering wheel with a horn ring for his 1946 flatbed chevy truck. The only ones I can find are for 1950s chevy bel air's-- I'm guessing they didn't make them for his year/his truck. Should a steering wheel from a different model/year work? Please excuse my ignorance. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2006 Posts: 679 | Based on this discussion, it appears that you can go at least as early as 1940. Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 210 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2008 Posts: 210 | I have 4 steering wheels for a 46 truck. I am in the process of restoring 2 of them, the other 2 are in pretty rough shape and I do not know if I am going to rebuild them. You can get a horn ring from Jim Carters for around $25.
You cannot buy NOS or repop steering wheels for these trucks. I believe from 40-47 early series are all the same but you will not find a new one anywhere. Believe me, I tried. Your best bet is to buy one and restore it with epoxy puddy or else pay someone who specializes in it but it is not cheap. I had one quote from a professional steering wheel restorer and it was over $800.
Last edited by cletis; 05/04/2010 9:03 PM. Reason: removed part for sale offer
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | I don't believe the standard wheel on those truck had any sort of 'horn ring'. Possibly someone or even the dealer may have installed one of the passenger type steering wheels with a horn ring in place of the truck wheel. [censored] Moffits in Ohio sells a repop/rebuilt accessory wheels on ebay and he would know if they fit the truck. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | Pretty sure the car steering wheels had a horn ring, but as stated, not the trucks.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 210 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2008 Posts: 210 | Not a horn ring but a horn button and spring. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 65 old truck heaven | | old truck heaven Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 65 | Correct. The correct steering wheel fits 1940-1947 early. They are not reproduced....but there is a steering wheel restorer in North San Diego county that does have the mold to recast your wheel. You would need to send him your core, he burns the rubber off and you get back a perfect steering wheel. Last time I spoke with him...about a month ago he was charging $750.00 plus the shipping. Now...if you are not particular to be authentic....they the 1947-55 1st series truck wheel has the same splines and attachment. Also most of the 1949-54 Chevy car steering wheels will bolt right on. You will also find on ebay Butterfly wheels which will work. Brian | | |
| |
| |