Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,141 Posts1,056,488 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | Every time I have to pour paint from a can I usually wind up cursing a lot and cleaning up the inevetable mess. Not any more! I found a plastic lid with a pour spout and air-tight cap that REALLY WORKS! Last summer I used these on my gallon can of high-fill and top coat and a year later the paint is still perfect. These things fit TIGHT on the can, overlapping both the inside and outside of the lip and the screw-on cap seems to seal completely. Pouring is precise and a quick wiping with a solvent moistened rag will clean any paint in the threads. If you are not going to mix that whole gallon (or quart) of paint you owe it to yourself to get some of THESE. BTW, I have no financial or other interest in Eastwood, just passing along a tip that I hope will be useful. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 6 | Thanks for the information.I hate dripping paint all over the workbench.I saw your door stand in another post is there anyway you can send me the measurements Thanks [email protected]
Last edited by gmcprince; 05/04/2010 2:30 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | | | | | | Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 354 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2003 Posts: 354 | I've always used a piece of 3" masking tape. Place it over the lip of the can and cut out the inside with a sharp knife. Pour out the paint and then peel off the tape and discard. With a little practice you can make it work as well as that $5.00 spout.
Harold Wilson 41 Chevy 3/4 Ton
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | Harold, that's a great suggestion. Thanks for posting. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | .... for gallon cans the local paint store (sherwin williams) has a plastic "duck bill" sort of thing that snaps over the edge and works well. I pick them up for a buck. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | I've always used a piece of 3" masking tape. Place it over the lip of the can and cut out the inside with a sharp knife. Pour out the paint and then peel off the tape and discard. With a little practice you can make it work as well as that $5.00 spout. I tried this today and must agree that it's much simpler and cheaper than the Pour lids or anything else you can buy for the purpose. I used two pieces of 2-inch Duck tape and only dribbled a little down the side from a new gallon can of primer. Easy clean up! Old dog learned new trick  | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | another trick is to drive a nail thru the bottom of the groove the lid clicks in, any paint slopped in runs back into the can
Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | Bill, Next time you get a new can of paint just try the tape trick... no paint in the lip, what doesn't go into the mixing cup stays inside the can. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 324 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 324 | Hopefully the Marketing people for paint Company's are reading this and would see this as a marketing opportunity to be the first for their Co. to correct their design problem in dispensing very expensive car paint. We pay a lot of money for their product and if they really care about us, the customers, they should be the ones to provide a solution that comes with the paint when we buy it. If they can do it for house paint why not do it for automotive? I have tried several methods and also bought a duck bill pouring lid from Sears house paint dept. that fits some automotive gallon cans but none for quarts. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | I will fer sure, when I pour some, I do have one more new gallon of ZR to mix - the nail hole is what I've always done brush painting outta the can, which is mostly what daBus is getting  Bill | | |
| |