The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (FishinToms53, Peggy M, Gib70, Southerntruck, 1 invisible), 145 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,433
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#643065 05/03/2010 3:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 76
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 76
who has the best and cheapest bed wood kit for a 1946 chevy pickup short bed and should i buy yellow pine or oak?thanks

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Surely you don't think the best and the cheapest are the same kit.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 76
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 76
what i might was would have the best deal on a bed wood kit.thanks

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 374
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 374
If you are going to paint it back factory black, I would go with the least expensive of the two.


"My tires and tubes are doing fine, but the air is showing through" smile

1946 Chevrolet 1/2-ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Mar K maybe.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Mar K maybe.


And.... If you're quick.



1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 76
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 76
how is the fit on their kits for the bed.thanks

Last edited by 1946chevypickup; 05/03/2010 11:35 PM. Reason: w
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,750
I haven't bought mine yet, but by all accounts the Mar-K kits are very good quality/fit.


1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 164
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 164
Mar-K Pine Board Bed Set Click Here

I **JUST*** bought mine and got it delivered 2 days ago from Mar-K, when I laid it out for a dry fit I was very suprised on the perfect fit. The bed must have been put back together pretty square. You know how us men are. I installed it for a dry fit then read the directions, it said to make sure you measure the bed from corner to opposing corner before you start the fitting and fix it first... I was just lucky I guess. BTW, I got pine. I have seen a lot of people use oak and I thought if I got a good quality pine with some nice grain running through it, it would be a little different. Since it is a soft wood and I don't plan on actually using the bed my thought was I would just seal it with Thompsons outdoor deck seal. That is exactly what I got, when I opened the box and saw the grain I was very pleased.

EDIT: oh yeah, the predrilled wood, the SS mouldings and the bolt set were right around $350.00 A lot cheaper that others I have seen at the re pop companies. Plus they offer FREE shipping.. a deal I think that can't be beat.

Last edited by 53John3100; 05/11/2010 4:08 AM.
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 164
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 164
Update, Installed the wood bed kit this weekend... turned out great. Everything from Mar-K was measured **exact** I did not have to cut or trim anything. The bolts and washers were the correct count in the bags and the stainless steel strips fit exactly. It was a long job because once the bed is on the truck you can't get to all of the bolts easily. The total price was $328.00 including shipping. I went with pine that was a little cheaper than the oak but the grain in the wood once it was sealed came out beautiful. That to me was a great deal. I would recomond them to anyone.

John

Last edited by 53John3100; 05/17/2010 4:37 AM.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0