The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (ShopRag, LAROKE), 44 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,347
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#633709 03/31/2010 1:47 PM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 4
Is it possible to replace 1937 front suspension with 48 to 54 as a bolt in or possibly just use the later axle?
Thanks
Dale

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,224
Yes its a bolt in, my truck has the newer axle, it was in there when I bought it. I never new it till I tried changing king pins. As far as the steering arms go, I have no idea what is on mine, it was pretty rough when I got it so you may need to stick with '37 on them.

Joe

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I'm running a 42-54 front axle on my 37 pickup. It is actually a heavier axle than the 37 axle and is probably a good idea to use one. I am also running 54 truck steering arms, well actually the stering arm on the left side, and the right arm. Your tie rod will work with the newer axle. In addition, if you use the newer tie rod ends, you will move the "design age" of your front end from 73 years old to 56 years old. It also give you the opportunity to use up to 54 front backing plates, hubs and drums. In addition, if you ever decide to go to a different rear end gear ratio, and it's a car rear end with a Chevrolet five lug bolt pattern, you can change the hubs on that front axle to 54 car five lug hubs. In my case, I am running a 55 car rear axle (open drive line) with the Chevrolet five lug bolt pattern and the 54 car lugs on the front of my truck with the 54 car hubs. I'm five lugs all the way around. It opens up many different wheel choices and the open drive line is easily adapted to the T-5 five speed transmission that so many Stovebolters have put in their trucks.
Any way you look at it, your idea of using the heavier front axle has got to be a good move.

Last edited by 6cylindersovertexas; 03/31/2010 7:55 PM.

"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
On my 46 I wanted to stay 6 lug, so I'm using the 46 'I' beam but with 57 half ton (modern) brakes, also aftermarket roller bearings. In back I'm running 65 half ton rear end. You gotta love Chevies, almost everything will interchange, sorta. It's like that old Johnny Cash song, "One piece at a time".


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0