The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Paul Mullen, 55shaker, DadsFirstPickup, 3B, 68ironhead, 1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny), 93 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,557
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#632996 03/29/2010 12:25 AM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
My '46 Chevy Project
1946 1/2 ton was sleeping in a garage for 30+ years until found last year.
I started reading the forums when I got this truck (lots of useful information). I joined Stovebolt last month and today.... my son and I finally fired the it up! Brakes almost done, a couple more small leaks to repair and we'll be on the road.

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/13/2025 3:58 PM.
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 105
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 105
Very nice looking truck!! Should be a ton of fun.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
Nice truck! Looks to be in really decent shape. I like the red stripe!

What is the deal on that water pump under the hood?

Welcome to Stovebolt!!


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
Thanks for the welcome!
I'm told the PO was a Farmer/plumber and rigged the pump to use off the motor (I have no idea what he did with it).
So far I've freed up the motor, rebuilt the wheel cylinders, new brake shoes and drums on the front, cleaned and greased the suspension, new plugs, wires, points, condenser, dist. cap. We put a fresh battery, oil and antifreeze in it and this past weekend as I said my son and I fired it up for the first time. It ran nice and smooth for as long as it had been sitting. Its been a lot of fun working on this old truck, I plan on getting it roadable and driving it a while as it is before attempting any restoration. The Stovebolt site has helped me over many hurtles getting this beast up and running. Thanks to all!!

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
The pump was probably for filling livestock tanks by pumping from a water tank in the truck. Give your rear leaf springs a good once over, they may have been subjected to some heavy loads over the years.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 54
Tmater, I had a similar thought, I did look over the springs. The rear has overload springs and even with the pile of tires and junk that was in it, it sat pretty level. I guess I got lucky!

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 196
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 196
"Once it warmed up, I found a small crack in the block that weeps some coolant so for now no long trips are planed."
I am going to tell you about an old mechanics tip for a cracked/leaking cast iron block. Go to a pharmacy that has an older pharmacist, not a young whipper-snapper, because I can not remember the pharmacutical name. Tell them you want the product that smells like rotten eggs that old timers used to seal a cracked block. The seal is only considered to be temporary, but the last time I did this, the Jaguar was still on the road 5 years later. I am only offering this temp solution to ease your mind on a longer drive and you said it was slight.


1946 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Gallery

Moderated by  Hambone 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0