| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (klhansen, Ponchogl, 1955 1 Series, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny, 55shaker, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible),
133
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,104 Posts1,056,201 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | If a truck had Hwy. gears and the 292 was tuned up right, what would be the best fuel milage one could get? This would be with a 1 barrel carb.
How would one improve it considerably? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | I have a 63 C20 with a 292, 4.10, and 265/75 16 tires. I'd get about 11-12 mpg. I replaced the sm420 with a MY6 and the overdrive got me 15-16 mpg. Basically a stock 292,except RV cam, HEI, headers, Monojet carb. I've heard of even better with major work and a 4bbl.
Larry
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | Thanks Larry for the info. What major work would it take to increase the fuel milage even more than 15-16? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | The gentleman that claimed he was getting 18 mpg was running a bit taller gears 3.73 and a 700R4. His engine had LPG pistons, 260H cam, and head work including lumps. The carburetor was a 390 cfm Holley.
Larry
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 293 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 293 | LGriffen, I am a Chevy V8 guy, but have a 292 in the current project. You mentioned in an earlier reply about Head work including "Lumps". What are you refering to as Lumps? Thank you | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | He is talking about a "lump port head". Go to YouTube and type in 292 engine or 292 lump port head. There is a great how to video there.
Also, the guys in the Inliners International Club have great resources about this subject. If you are thinking about building a 292 for a speed application I would also recommend the book by Leo Santucci "Chevrolet Inline Six-Cylinder Power Manual". You can order this book thru Motorbooks by calling 1-800-826-6600.
My problem is that I'm looking to build a truck for a fuel friendly daily driver. I found a good buy but it has the 292 engine. I will probably pass this one up. I would rather build a truck with a 235 anyway since I have a lot of extra parts. I don't know if a 235 is going to get any better fuel mileage though.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 44 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 44 | I've had a lot of disbelievers, but I get 16-18 MPG, sometimes more if I don't go on the highway.
I mainly drive in town, not a lot of highway driving.
Truck is a more or less stock '78 chev, 3.07 rearend, 3 speed, 230 w/monojet. Oh yeah, and HEI. | | |
| |
| |