The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Otto Skorzeny, Phak1, Guitplayer, Perro, greenie-reddy, Hush, 1 invisible), 159 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#630734 03/21/2010 5:41 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
If a truck had Hwy. gears and the 292 was tuned up right, what would be the best fuel milage one could get? This would be with a 1 barrel carb.

How would one improve it considerably?

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
I have a 63 C20 with a 292, 4.10, and 265/75 16 tires. I'd get about 11-12 mpg. I replaced the sm420 with a MY6 and the overdrive got me 15-16 mpg. Basically a stock 292,except RV cam, HEI, headers, Monojet carb. I've heard of even better with major work and a 4bbl.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
LGriffin #630752 03/21/2010 7:12 AM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
Thanks Larry for the info. What major work would it take to increase the fuel milage even more than 15-16?

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
The gentleman that claimed he was getting 18 mpg was running a bit taller gears 3.73 and a 700R4. His engine had LPG pistons, 260H cam, and head work including lumps. The carburetor was a 390 cfm Holley.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
LGriffin #630838 03/21/2010 4:32 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
Thanks again Larry.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 293
LGriffen, I am a Chevy V8 guy, but have a 292 in the current project. You mentioned in an earlier reply about Head work including "Lumps". What are you refering to as Lumps? Thank you

SD66Burb #630946 03/21/2010 11:00 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
He is talking about a "lump port head". Go to YouTube and type in 292 engine or 292 lump port head. There is a great how to video there.

Also, the guys in the Inliners International Club have great resources about this subject. If you are thinking about building a 292 for a speed application I would also recommend the book by Leo Santucci "Chevrolet Inline Six-Cylinder Power Manual". You can order this book thru Motorbooks by calling 1-800-826-6600.

My problem is that I'm looking to build a truck for a fuel friendly daily driver. I found a good buy but it has the 292 engine. I will probably pass this one up. I would rather build a truck with a 235 anyway since I have a lot of extra parts. I don't know if a 235 is going to get any better fuel mileage though.


Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
7
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
7 Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 44
I've had a lot of disbelievers, but I get 16-18 MPG, sometimes more if I don't go on the highway.

I mainly drive in town, not a lot of highway driving.

Truck is a more or less stock '78 chev, 3.07 rearend, 3 speed, 230 w/monojet. Oh yeah, and HEI.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0