The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gazz, klhansen, Peggy M, tclederman), 102 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,096
Posts1,056,473
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 107
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 107
Hello all I just got my 235 set up with fenton exhaust and dual intake. What is normally done with the vac to the distributor? Should they be joined so they both pull the advance on the distributor or just use one and plug the other
Many thanks


1946 1/2 ton
I'm not addicted I just don't know when to stop
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Yes, just plug one, single make it work. Another tip, look down the throat of the carbs with a flash lite and make real sure they open exactly together and that the linkage is nice and smooth.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 107
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 107
I am having a little linkage trouble. From the pedal it is not smooth and feels like it hangs up somewhere. I cut and bent the linkage to make it fit (56 235 in a 46) but now that it is closer todrivable it is far from drivable. I am so close and so far away


1946 1/2 ton
I'm not addicted I just don't know when to stop
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
In addition to taking the vacuum from only one carb, remove the choke from the carb that the choke cable is not hooked up to. This will eliminate any chances of the choke vibrating closed.

One of the best tips I got on tuning my dual carbs is to purchase a uni-syn tool. They can be found on eBay for short money and go a long way in obtaining perfect throttle response.

As for the linkage, keep working at it. Do not settle for a "this is good enough" senario. It is critical that the linkage is smooth as silk otherwise it can break on you when you are far from home.


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 582
Way to go Sweet! Want to lend me that Unisyn when I get ready to start up the dual Holley Webers?


Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Again, the linkage must be bullit proof. I use heim joints where ever possible vs. the old bent rod in the hole style. If your linkage is sloppy your unisyn wont make it any better. A hose from your ear to the carb also works.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
ODSS Lawman
ODSS Lawman
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,418
Geezer,

No problem, I already sent you an email this morning....


SWEET
Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society
BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....
1950 GMC 450
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
JiMerit.

Would you please post a link for someone who sells Heim jonts and/or a site that discusses/demonstrates how to use them? I did some searching but did not get anything useful.

Thanks,
Tim

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 107
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 107
tclederman

Here is a link to a heim joint seller.
http://www.mmsacc-stainless.com/html/heim_joints.htm

Jim do you have any photos of your linkage I am not having much luck smoothing it out.

Brian


1946 1/2 ton
I'm not addicted I just don't know when to stop
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Thanks, Brian and chuckthetruck. Both those links have useful and interesting items.

It would be nice to see some photos of a smooth-working setup.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0