The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, TexasA&M48Truck), 144 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 34
N
Apprentice
Apprentice
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 34
Been searching here and other places and it seems(?) nobody uses tube headers on a 235. I see Cifford makes them and probably others but everybody seems to run Fentons or the like. I am just thinking outloud (or typing LOL)could there be an advantage to tube headers ?,as long as manifold heat was taken care of.
I like the idea of a traditional exhaust note. Dual Smitty's like my dad always talked about. smile
But have to wonder if there is a better way. Like 6 into 1 or 3 into 2 and then into 1.(?)
Seems to me duals(cool as they are) are not really necessary. I'm asking not telling.
Thoughts ?

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
My guess is it is because the Fentons are so much neater and easier to use.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
If what you want is a "traditional exhaust note" then I'd stick to what's always provided that: Fenton's and Smitty's. I've seen some pretty nice homemade split manifolds here and on other boards that I think would work just as well and sound good too. I haven't heard tube headers but they might work fine too.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I have run nothing but Fentons on my truck. I've always been told that they were more quiet than tube headers, as far as engine noise in the cab is concerned. I suppose it's because they are cast iron like the stock exhaust manifold.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 34
N
Apprentice
Apprentice
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 34
I can see some advantages of the tried and true Fenton cast headers. And will probably go that way, unless tube headers make a big differance. (doubt it, but don't want to assume) So that leads me to pipes size, single or dual ?
I do understand the "sound" factor but if thats the only reason to go duals I'll likely not. And I have no plans for cam swap or head work, just a Landon's 2 bbl.
which I already have.Thanks for your input!

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
dual for the sound, and about 1 3/4" diameter


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0