Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (FAST55, Shaffer's1950, John Dlugos, Ponchogl, F100Ranger, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, TexasJim50, 1 invisible),
73
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,131 Posts1,056,372 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 192 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 192 | Stock rear end engine changed to a 327 ? No tach so just want to check. Only taken it to 55 mph no problem and sounds good.
Last edited by RAK; 02/19/2010 4:59 AM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Gearing and tire size will dictate top end, as will engine operating rpm.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | You will need a better idea of what your axle ratio. With out a tach you won't be able verify how close your "327?" ratio is. I've seen 3.30, 3.42, 3.55 ratios mentioned quite often. You will need to know what your tire size is by diameter. Then you can use an RPM calculator to determine RPM; http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.htmlI don't run a 235, so I'll leave it to others to say what RPM you should run at. Larry
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I think he means it has a 327 engine in it.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 192 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 192 | yes I do mean a 327 engine with a stock rear end. 3 on the tree and I'll post tire size tomorrow.Thanks | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | We'll still need the gear ratio, as there were options. Can you get the codes off the axle? Stock rearend for a '61 1/2 ton would be either 3.90 or 4.11. Code should be stamped on the right side of the 3rd member face.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 169 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 169 | you aint gonna go too fast with that setup unless you have 40 inch tires! 55 tops.......watch the gas guage as you go faster | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | you aint gonna go too fast with that setup unless you have 40 inch tires! 55 tops.......watch the gas guage as you go faster I wouldn't say that. I have a '55 with a 235, 3.90 gears, and 30 inch tires. I've had it past 70 mph no problem. I drive off the tach, so speedometer error is not an issue.
Last edited by LONGBOX55; 02/19/2010 5:42 AM.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 192 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 192 | OK ,tires are 31x10.5 on 15 inch rims.Now where are we ? Thanks for all the brain cells thinking about this ! | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Assuming the base model 3.90 gears, and a theoretical 5500 redline, along with 31" tires, about 130 mph. That is not taking into account frictional losses, weight of the vehicle, and vehicle aerodynamics.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 1,262 | OK ,tires are 31x10.5 on 15 inch rims.Now where are we ? Thanks for all the brain cells thinking about this ! Looks like there were only (2) rear ratio's for a stock 1960 C10: 3.90 or 3.38 http://public.bay.livefilestore.com...iCNr-eTGE8mWIkF1PmNQ/Truck%20Axle_ID.jpgAssuming your 327 can handle a cruising rpm of 2600, and a max RPM of 5500: Trans Ratio = 1 Rear Tire Diameter = 31 inches Assume a 3.9 Rear Ratio @ 2600 RPM = 62 MPH @ 5500 RPM = 130 MPH Assume a 3.38 Rear Ratto @ 2600 RPM = 71 MPH @ 5500 RPM = 150 MPH
Last edited by Hot Rod John; 02/20/2010 2:36 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 192 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 192 | thank you that's what I needed | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 31 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2005 Posts: 31 | Speedometer would stick if you got over 70. But in 87 I drove mine to Odessa Tx. some cars and trucks passed me and I tried to keep up but it couldn't. I slowed down, about a mile down the road every one was pulled over. I drove right on by glad it wouldn't go that fast.
Last edited by chevytrucknut61; 02/24/2010 5:43 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 192 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 192 | I don't think I'll be getting any speeding tickets ! Your '61 looks great,do your doors stick out or do you have a magic fix? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 446 | My '60, with stock 3.90 gears and a 235 engine will cruz all day at 65, although I keep it at 55 to 60. I did go 70 once. You should do fine. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | @ 5500 RPM = 130 MPH @ 5500 RPM = 150 MPH Somehow I doubt with either gear ratio its going to reach much past 100 mph with a stock 327. It takes a lot of power to push a big box like a '61 Apache through the air...
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
| |