The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (PAUL Berardi, sron48, Jon G, JW51), 91 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,373
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 192
R
RAK
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 192
Stock rear end engine changed to a 327 ? No tach so just want to check. Only taken it to 55 mph no problem and sounds good.

Last edited by RAK; 02/19/2010 4:59 AM.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Gearing and tire size will dictate top end, as will engine operating rpm.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
You will need a better idea of what your axle ratio. With out a tach you won't be able verify how close your "327?" ratio is. I've seen 3.30, 3.42, 3.55 ratios mentioned quite often. You will need to know what your tire size is by diameter. Then you can use an RPM calculator to determine RPM;

http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html

I don't run a 235, so I'll leave it to others to say what RPM you should run at.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I think he means it has a 327 engine in it.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 192
R
RAK
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 192
yes I do mean a 327 engine with a stock rear end. 3 on the tree and I'll post tire size tomorrow.Thanks

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
We'll still need the gear ratio, as there were options. Can you get the codes off the axle? Stock rearend for a '61 1/2 ton would be either 3.90 or 4.11. Code should be stamped on the right side of the 3rd member face.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 169
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 169
you aint gonna go too fast with that setup unless you have 40 inch tires! 55 tops.......watch the gas guage as you go faster


65 Chev shorty
65 Chev longbox
65 Chev crewcab
65 Chev bus!
Photobucket pictures
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Originally Posted by timbuk
you aint gonna go too fast with that setup unless you have 40 inch tires! 55 tops.......watch the gas guage as you go faster
I wouldn't say that. I have a '55 with a 235, 3.90 gears, and 30 inch tires. I've had it past 70 mph no problem. I drive off the tach, so speedometer error is not an issue.

Last edited by LONGBOX55; 02/19/2010 5:42 AM.

Bill Burmeister
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 192
R
RAK
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 192
OK ,tires are 31x10.5 on 15 inch rims.Now where are we ? Thanks for all the brain cells thinking about this !

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Assuming the base model 3.90 gears, and a theoretical 5500 redline, along with 31" tires, about 130 mph. That is not taking into account frictional losses, weight of the vehicle, and vehicle aerodynamics.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
Originally Posted by RAK
OK ,tires are 31x10.5 on 15 inch rims.Now where are we ? Thanks for all the brain cells thinking about this !

Looks like there were only (2) rear ratio's for a stock 1960 C10: 3.90 or 3.38

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com...iCNr-eTGE8mWIkF1PmNQ/Truck%20Axle_ID.jpg

Assuming your 327 can handle a cruising rpm of 2600, and a max RPM of 5500:

Trans Ratio = 1

Rear Tire Diameter = 31 inches

Assume a 3.9 Rear Ratio
@ 2600 RPM = 62 MPH
@ 5500 RPM = 130 MPH

Assume a 3.38 Rear Ratto
@ 2600 RPM = 71 MPH
@ 5500 RPM = 150 MPH


Last edited by Hot Rod John; 02/20/2010 2:36 PM.

In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 192
R
RAK
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 192
thank you that's what I needed

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 31
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 31
Speedometer would stick if you got over 70. But in 87 I drove mine to Odessa Tx. some cars and trucks passed me and I tried to keep up but it couldn't. I slowed down, about a mile down the road every one was pulled over. I drove right on by glad it wouldn't go that fast.

Last edited by chevytrucknut61; 02/24/2010 5:43 AM.

My 1961 Chevy Pickup Truck
In the GalleryMy Webshots Shoebox
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 192
R
RAK
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 192
I don't think I'll be getting any speeding tickets ! Your '61 looks great,do your doors stick out or do you have a magic fix?

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
My '60, with stock 3.90 gears and a 235 engine will cruz all day at 65, although I keep it at 55 to 60. I did go 70 once. You should do fine.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by Hot Rod John
@ 5500 RPM = 130 MPH
@ 5500 RPM = 150 MPH
Somehow I doubt with either gear ratio its going to reach much past 100 mph with a stock 327. It takes a lot of power to push a big box like a '61 Apache through the air...


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0