Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,133 Posts1,056,398 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 15 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 15 | Hello All,
I am having trouble getting my wipers to work. I have purchased a new switch, but when I took the one off the top of the dashboard, it is nothing like the one I have to replace it!
The switch that is fitted at the moment doesn't have any electrics giong to it at all? there is a metal shroud that goes from the switch to the wiper motor, and nothing else.
Any advice would be greatfully received.
Thank you,
Laine | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Laine,
The original wiper motor for a 55/1st would have been vacuum and the switch, a mechanical link to open a small slide valve to turn the motor on.
Have I misunderstood your post or has your rig been changed to a more modern electric wiper motor.
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 15 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 15 | Hi,
I assumed that my wipers would be electric, there is what appears to be an earth/ground wire going from the base of the motor to the dash, by the heater controls - I don't appear to have any vacuum pipes going to the motor.
Help please,
Laine | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Laine, If your rig has electric wipers it has been converted by some previous owner as I am fairly certain these were not available in the 55/1st series truck...but I could be wrong. A popular supplier of aftermarket electric wiper kits is Newport and I have included a link to their site. Hopefully someone with more info will be along shortly. http://newportwipers.com/Stuart | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Two-speed 6v electric wipers were available on GM trucks in 1954/55.
A few photos might help to clear this up.
Does the existing wiper attach to the dash by means of two screws through the dash?
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 15 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 15 | Hi,
The wiper motor does attach to the dash with 2 large screws. It is definately an electric wiper motor. There is 1 wire that comes off the motor at the bottom, the switch on the dash seems to move a cable that is attached to the motor.
Any ideas how this system works????
Is there anyway to test the motor in situ???
Please let me know,
Laine | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | You have option number 320, as Tim said this was available for these years. All the ones I have seen have the two screws in the dash. It may be worth pulling the motor to see if it still works? The wire coming off is to power, the motor ground is through the attachment screws/bracket. They are a two speed motor so switch should have off-lo-hi settings. Run a jumper wire to your key or battery and fiddle with the switch you should be able to hear if it energizes or is bound up.
Last edited by Brad Allen; 02/15/2010 9:33 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | If there is no electric to the switch then it is unlikely the wipers are electric. Is it possible that you are mistaking the vacuum line for a wire? It's pretty dark up in there. If it really is a wire then if you put 6 volts to it and you have a good ground the motor will either work or it won't. It is likely at least 40 years old and the grease in it will be hardened, so it needs to come out for a good cleaning anyway. I picked up a motor out of a '36 ford at the salvage yard and gave it a good cleaning, miracles do happen with old electric motors. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | I have not wired a 1954 GM 6v electric wiper; however, I think that it was actuated via a cable from the wiper control (the same cable-setup that actuated the vacuum wiper motor)?
Maybe Greg Hill will post information on this. Greg would also have information on how the foot-pedal operated GM Accessory Windshield washer had a cable from the washer-pedal to the wiper motor (supposedly working with either the vacuum wiper motor or the 6v GM wiper motor) - the cable would turn/pull on the vacuum motor (and maybe the electric motor)?
I'll look tonight to see if I have installation instructions.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 1,299 | I have not done one either Tim but Jim Carter said that they do use the same control and knob as the vacuum motors. We discussed it when he was trying to sell me a used motor he had and I wanted to make sure that it would work with the extra cable from the windshield washer foot pump.
Last edited by Greg_H; 02/16/2010 3:58 AM. Reason: added final comment
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | If there is no electric to the switch then it is unlikely the wipers are electric. Excuse me sir but you are mistaken. The wire on the factory assembly goes directly into the motor housing. The switch is internal and is operated with a cable. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | I stand corrected and thank you sir. Still the motor should come out for a good cleaning. | | |
| |