The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Justhorsenround, Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,485
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#619529 02/13/2010 4:21 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
I have a 49 burb and am researching what to do with the rear floor. The plywood is solid but top covering is shot. I have seen threads on trying to get new material made etc. but not going that direction, My question is how close is a 1/2 ton truck bed to the rear profile of a suburban? Would a Mar-K type bed kit come to close fitting with minor modifications?


Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle."-Abraham Lincoln

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

The fender wells "cut into" the Suburban rear floor. The fender wells are completely outside the pickup box/bed.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
49bourbon: my floor is very solid to but the top "ply" is a little bad in places due to dragging stuff in and out of it as it was a delivery Panel. I'm seriously thinking about just putting a nice 1/4" sheet over the top of it.... or fill the places and sand down real good for some type flooring/carpet or something like that. Keep us posted on what you do.

I think my wood is solid from all the road salt up in the midwest west...it preserved the wood but killed the sheetmetal smile


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 10
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 10
I use my old panel to haul things,and the one I am redoing now I intend to use 2 sheets of marine plywood and split them so to get the width needed and put down wear strips to cover the seam. Should work fine,because as stated the pickup has a totaly different bed makeup.If you used the plywood you could cover it with anything desired.


Dennis M
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 438
thanks guys I was thinking the nice stained wood kit with painted steel or stainless runners would dress up the rear. I'll find a buddy with a 1/2 ton and make a quick paper template to see how close they are. I'm a long way from this being at the top of the "to do" lists.


Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle."-Abraham Lincoln

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Will you be mounting original seats in the rear? If "yes", you'll have to carefully consider the locations of the floor-pockets for the attachment of seats.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
Originally Posted by 49bourbon
thanks guys I was thinking the nice stained wood kit with painted steel or stainless runners would dress up the rear. I'll find a buddy with a 1/2 ton and make a quick paper template to see how close they are. I'm a long way from this being at the top of the "to do" lists.
If you go this way, take a router and mill away half the thickness of the plywood sheet, about an inch from the center on each half of the floor, and make an overlapping joint. Some wood glue along the whole seem and clamped well will keep the water from seeping through, and it'll eliminate a weak spot in the center of the floor.

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 121
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 121
Weeds on here did a really good tech write up on replacing the wood in his suburban using marine plywood. You should check it out

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 36
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 36
I was planning on using a rubber mat style bed liner in mine for hauling. They look pretty similar to the original. A long box size should get you there, check it out.
Bongo

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 76
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 76
I like the splitting the plywood idea. A lap joint is perfect for this application. I would go one further and say use an epoxy lacquer after it was in and then add the strips. It'd look like a bowling alley. Then to top it all off I'd undercoat the bottom and edges of the plywood. Sorry furniture maker by trade.

Last edited by 561tonpanel; 04/13/2010 4:55 AM.
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Here's the LINK to Weed's great suburban build

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Thanks, Weeds & George,

It does not get much better than that.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 76
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 76
Very nice Weeds! Picture of perfection. Hope I can Make mine look that good.


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0