Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,129 Posts1,056,361 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | I installed a 69 Nova on my 53 3100. Only regret, almost to "low". I like the rear steer, easy to connect. Still has drum brakes and manual steering. One mistake I made was adding 1" to the wheelbase, caused clearance problem with tires. Anybody else have a "subframe" they would recommend? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 113 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 113 | Threw an Eldorodo front clip in a 73 C-10 years ago. The front wheel burn-outs raised some eyebrows. Also did a 69 Nova (like yours drum and powerless) sub into a 40 FURD. I like it. Real easy to do engine, brakes, and steering. Plus I don't feel like I'm gonna die anymore, but I had to play with wheels to get fender clearance. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 219 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 219 | I used a 1979 camaro frame on my 54 1/2 ton panel,worked out well no real problems.
layback
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | 74 Nova under a 48 Fleetmaster. Still building the car though, Scott | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | why a sub frame clip and not simply a crossmember?
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 649 | Hey Scott, I had all the materials on hand, and figured I could learn some fabrication skills. I have more skill than $. In my initial post I was trying to find out what other "subframe" would be a good doner. The camaros, novas and monte carlos are getting hard to find, especially if they have disc's. According to my math a crossmember will still top $1500? If I can't come up with a subframe I'll go the crossmember route. Thanks, | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 381 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 381 | Hey all- I put a '73 Nova sub under a '54 Chevy Panel, a '79 Camaro sub under a '49 Chevy pick up, a '80 Camaro sub under a '40 Pontiac 2dr sedan , all with PS and Power disc brakes. And a MII IFS under a '51 Chevy Bel Aire. I like the ride of the subframe better than the MII IFS. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | IF you use used parts, the crossmember will cost you under $800 including shipping, paint, weld wire, etc. New parts under $1200.
Plus, you dont have to worry about a weld cracking at a butt joint.
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 438 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 438 | I put a 69 Nova under a 49 Suburban. I bought the clip at a swap meet for $ 200. I completely rebuilt it with new bushings, disc turned, new calipers, etc for $175, did all the mock up work myself, and had a certified welder put it in for $50 and a case of beer I helped drink. I then was able to use standard GM motor mounts and not have to fab up anything. I will say the MKII is a "cleaner" look but subframe is a viable option no one ever thinks of. Little more work but if done correctly I think the cheapest way to go.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle."-Abraham Lincoln
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 445 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 445 | USED A 79 CAMARO ON A 51,3100.ONLY PROBLEM WAS TIME FOR FRONT ALIMENT.NAPA HAS UPPER CONTROL ARMS THAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM FOR CASTER7 camber for 75 bucks.one thing when you put the cilp on take it too a frontend aliment shop.once things are welded you may have to get the front frame twicked.frame bent. this is importent.the front fender and hood to fit right.I wish you luck the story never end's.good luck an do it right the first time.saves a lot of heart breaks & $$$$$$ gallery dan-pa 51 chevy
dan-pa
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 23 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 23 | Bag it up front and get some lift out of it. Lay it out when its parked!
¿ÐíÐ Ï Hí‡ †hŇ?
| | |
| |