The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (WICruiser, Bill Hanlon), 251 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6164 03/30/2005 6:33 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12
Here we go. I need information about water pumps, pulleys and fans used on the 216 and 235 chevy engines. Which fans go with which pulleys and on what size of engine?

I have a 1950 Chevy Pickup with a 1956 235 engine. I know I need the short shaft water pump, but I don't know what size pulley or fan. I have seen them in almost every combination. (Probably not a good thing). I have also heard the term cavitate or cavitation...I need to be straightened out on the subject.

If someone could explain all this to me that would be awesome.

#6165 03/31/2005 3:05 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I just went through that. I used the 3" pulley first and my engine would not cool. I switched to a 5" and got it cooling. The original for the '56 engine was 6" so if you could find one that size it would probably be better. (All sizes are approximate.)

Here's a link to the discussion we had.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#6166 03/31/2005 10:46 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
You can get a low dish 7" pulley off a Ford truck in a junkyard which is the perfect size for the stock water pump, just with less dish. Then you use a press to shorten the shaft. However, this leaves the water pump low on the block and the stock fan might hit the harmonic balancer. You can either go electric, or get a fan that fits.

However, the best option is to get an adaptor plate that lets you run the 216 pump on the 235, which puts it up high where it belongs.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
#6167 04/06/2005 4:32 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12
Thanks from your help,
I will give it a shot

#6168 04/06/2005 12:19 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I just went through this same situation. I have a 55' 235 and a 53' pick up so identical problem. I relocated the radiator flanges to the rear of the radaitor so it was moved all the way forward in the surround. Got a short pump and pulley from Patricks and then went through about 4 fans and spacer setups before I got the clearance on the crank by tweaking the blade from a 56' Chevy car. It just does clear and looks like it should work. There may be a better setup but this is what I did.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
#6169 04/06/2005 9:35 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12
Here is a deep question

Instead of buying the special water pump from Patrick's, I bought one from Car Quest, pressed the mounting plate down and cut the shaft. It fits great.

When I look in the radiator, it doesn't seem like the coolant is moving like it should. My thermostat (180) works, and it was hot when I checked it.

I am wondering if the impellers could be different on these two different pumps. The "right" one from Patrick's, or mine from Car Quest.

I have the 6" pulley

#6170 04/07/2005 4:44 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
What do you think, Patrick grows them? I don't know what he charges but I'll bet he makes a healthy profit doing the same thing you did.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#6171 04/07/2005 5:02 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
smile
I might be wrong in making this remark, but I don't think you will see a whole lot of movement when looking into the opening of a full radiator.


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0