The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Robert Crandall, J Lucas, 1955 1 Series, Otto Skorzeny), 99 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,465
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61558 06/09/2006 8:25 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 10
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 10
I came across a Dana 44 axle that was being discarded by a shop up the road from me. It has six lug hubs, and the skinny drums that look like the ones on my 51 GMC. It does not have the panhard bar mount, only the two narrow spring perches, so I don't think it is a 60's vintage. The LMC truck catalog lists an optional axle that looks like a Dana patter n in the '58-'59 era. Anybody have aclue about these? I am asking because when you get stuff for free, there's a reason...it had no diff cover or yoke, but I grabbed it before too much of the world got in there. I put a tacky chome cover on it, but I have had no luck finding a yoke for it. It appears to be a 9, 10, or 11-spline...(I can't seem to count.) Any advice is welcome. My Projects


http://www.fatherley.com/trucks.html

Q: Is it transportation or is it yard art?
#61559 06/09/2006 8:41 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
GMC used the Dana/Spicer 44 from about '55-'72. The 1/2 ton Jimmies used leaf springs on most models in the '60-'72 era, could be from one of them. It could also be from a mid '70's Jeep pickup or Cherokee.


Bill Burmeister
#61560 06/12/2006 6:00 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
do you have a pix of it on your website? I got sidetracked by that awesome looking malibu you got there....


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
#61561 06/12/2006 7:51 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
Is it a limited slip? If so,are the axles still there? If so,would you sell it? I have one I need a left axle for.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
#61562 06/14/2006 1:41 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 10
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 10
Your wish is my command. I updated the old truck pages. No, there was no lilited slip in this thing, but, I think one could be easily added as there is support in the Jeep world for the 10-spline Dana 44.
I will hopefully have time to get the engine into the Malibu before too long. Thanks for the compliment.

Quinn


http://www.fatherley.com/trucks.html

Q: Is it transportation or is it yard art?
#61563 06/21/2006 2:13 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 10
S
New Guy
New Guy
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 10
Yes, this axle turns out to be a Dana 44. I did a bit of Googling and found a new yoke, seal, washer and nut from Omix-Ada through http://www.tellico4x4.com. $44 with shipping, and arrived on a Saturday! With a bit of cleaning and scraping, the parts fit up just fine. I will post an 'after-photo' on my webpage, www.fatherley.com/trucks.

Wish I could make as much progress as Fla54Chevy3100!!!

-Quinn


http://www.fatherley.com/trucks.html

Q: Is it transportation or is it yard art?

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0