| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (TUTS 59, JW51, Jon G),
114
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,095 Posts1,056,480 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#61558 06/09/2006 8:25 PM | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 10 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 10 | I came across a Dana 44 axle that was being discarded by a shop up the road from me. It has six lug hubs, and the skinny drums that look like the ones on my 51 GMC. It does not have the panhard bar mount, only the two narrow spring perches, so I don't think it is a 60's vintage. The LMC truck catalog lists an optional axle that looks like a Dana patter n in the '58-'59 era. Anybody have aclue about these? I am asking because when you get stuff for free, there's a reason...it had no diff cover or yoke, but I grabbed it before too much of the world got in there. I put a tacky chome cover on it, but I have had no luck finding a yoke for it. It appears to be a 9, 10, or 11-spline...(I can't seem to count.) Any advice is welcome. My Projects | | |
#61559 06/09/2006 8:41 PM | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | GMC used the Dana/Spicer 44 from about '55-'72. The 1/2 ton Jimmies used leaf springs on most models in the '60-'72 era, could be from one of them. It could also be from a mid '70's Jeep pickup or Cherokee.
Bill Burmeister | | |
#61560 06/12/2006 6:00 AM | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,444 Moderator - The Electrical Bay | | Moderator - The Electrical Bay Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 3,444 | do you have a pix of it on your website? I got sidetracked by that awesome looking malibu you got there....
Another quality post. Real Trucks Rattle HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
| | |
#61561 06/12/2006 7:51 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | Is it a limited slip? If so,are the axles still there? If so,would you sell it? I have one I need a left axle for. Speed | | |
#61562 06/14/2006 1:41 PM | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 10 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 10 | Your wish is my command. I updated the old truck pages. No, there was no lilited slip in this thing, but, I think one could be easily added as there is support in the Jeep world for the 10-spline Dana 44. I will hopefully have time to get the engine into the Malibu before too long. Thanks for the compliment.
Quinn | | |
#61563 06/21/2006 2:13 AM | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 10 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 10 | Yes, this axle turns out to be a Dana 44. I did a bit of Googling and found a new yoke, seal, washer and nut from Omix-Ada through http://www.tellico4x4.com. $44 with shipping, and arrived on a Saturday! With a bit of cleaning and scraping, the parts fit up just fine. I will post an 'after-photo' on my webpage, www.fatherley.com/trucks. Wish I could make as much progress as Fla54Chevy3100!!! -Quinn | | |
| |
| |