The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Shaffer's1950, walter74, tclederman), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,700
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 43
6
Apprentice
Apprentice
6 Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 43
Well, I thought I would take my new purchase... A '62 Stepside in for a Brake Inspection on Saturday. The Brake Tech came back 5 minutes later and told me that when he opened the Master Cylinder, he discovered some kind of a petroleum product had been put in it and that my entire system was now contaminated, and that I need to replace THE WHOLE BRAKE SYSTEM!!! Made my day :-( My question is, is there any way to just bleed out the system,and have it work (NO LEAKS from the Brakes So Far) or do I need to upgrade the whole system.

Last edited by CLAYCROGHAN; 01/18/2010 4:48 PM.
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
I'm sure others will speak up and agree or disagree with me but you can blow out all the lines and rebuild all the components. I don't see the need to replace the whole system. I am sure the shop you took it to is hoping you believe that you do need to do it and you give them the job. This does give you a good opportunity to learn all about brake systems, DIY.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 43
6
Apprentice
Apprentice
6 Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 43
That's what I thought, just rebuild the wheel cylinders, replace any rubber hoses. I planned on probably going to a power brake booster anyway, so I guess now is a good time to upgrade.

Could somebody tell me if it's easy to change to self-adjusting brakes (I remember reading somewhere here were they didn't come out with them until '64 or '65) availability & ease of installation.

Thanks

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
First I recommend getting you a repair manual for your truck. They are not expensive and worth every penny of it.

The brakes are fairly simply, just sometimes aggravating getting a clip or something in place but all in all I know you can do it.

I'd recommend doing one wheel at a time so if you have a problem go to the other side and look at it. If it gives you any comfort take a close up picture of it.
This is one area you can save your self some money for other things. We're here to help so don't be bashful.

I'm not sure about the self adjusting brakes but if you do go that route be sure to use the correct adjuster on the correct side. Getting them switched will back the brake off instead of tightening it up!!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
You will need to replace all the rubber parts in the system, wheel cylinder cups, etc., and flex hoses. Also rebuild or replace the master cylinder, but it seems you've got that covered with the power booster/MC upgrade. Before you tear the system down, flush it thoroughly with alcohol. (Methanol/shellac thinner, not rubbing alcohol, which is part water) This will purge all the steel lines before you do the wheel cylinder rebuilding, so no oil from the lines can contaminate your freshly-repaired cylinders. Do a very thorough flush/bleed with brake fluid to displace any residual alcohol, but if a tiny bit remains, no problem. Brake fluid contains alcohol as part of its compounding, so a little residue won't hurt.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 43
6
Apprentice
Apprentice
6 Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 43
Thanks guys for all your help - time to "BRAKE" Down and get busy!


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0