The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Roy Rodgers, Oswald, Brian Moore), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#609771 01/13/2010 7:13 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 16
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 16
I'm currently installing a fenton dual carb intake on my truck with 2 carter YF carbs. The truck will run at a fast idle for less than 15 seconds and then stall out. Any ideas on what I've done wrong?

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
The last time I had that problem.I forgot to connect the pcv hose to the pcv
valve.One big vacuum leak.

Jimmy

Last edited by arisakat99; 01/13/2010 9:31 PM.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 16
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 16
Sorry, I'm new so this may be a stupid question. With the down draft tube, what PCV valve are you referring to?

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
No PCV on a road draft system.
I'm inclined to think timing. Especially if you do not have a vacuum advance on the dizzy. I have also seen where with duals, there isn't enough vacuum at the carb base (ported vacuum) to make the advance work properly, so many go to the fitting on the mnaifold instead. On mine, I don't have an advance, so I had to advance the base timing by 15 degrees to get it to run properly.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 25
O'Kay,I went back and read your old posts.

I would go back and check the carbs. again.To be sure everything is clean inside and check float adjusted.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
notajr88fan,

While there could be other problems, I would sure spend some time making sure the throttle linkage was 100%. Without any linkage installed, both carburetors need to be in the same position to each other.

If you back the idle screws out of both carburetors until the throttle plates are closed, that is a starting point. Reattach the linkage and start adjusting your idle, making sure you do exactly the same thing to both carburetors.

They need to be balanced in regards to their throttle position. This will get you started and may cure some of your problems.

Stuart

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
Try installing a thin card board gasket under one of the carbs to isolate it. Don't cut the center hole, make sure it's solid. Get one carb where it will idle and run, then do the other one the same way. If you set the idle speed the same on each one, it should be close with both running together. You will still need to tune once both are running so turn each screw the same on both units till you get it squared away. A Uni-syn ( http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Uni-Syn-Carb-Synchronizing-Tool,267.html ) would really help you.

Double check for vacuum leaks at the intake to head area and under each carb. If the engine was running before you started this, timing should be close enough to run now.

Whats it take to get it restarted?


Joe

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I agree with Joe H. If each carb will run the engine by itself (factory setting for mixture, etc.) then you are half way there. I run a vacuum advance off my front carb, and it works fine. Though, I did advance my timing quite a bit over what I was running with a single carb. I think I ended up another 8 degrees past where I was.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
Why do you think the timing needs to be advanced so far? I set mine higher up as well, but didn't think the carburetors had anything to do with it.

Joe

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 487
When I recently replaced my 235 exhaust manifold, I had a similar problem. It turned out that the intake wasn't fully seated because one of the alignment rings was slightly cocked. My leak was bad enough that I only got about 5 seconds of run if I pumped the accelerator pump 7-8 times.

regards,
Leon

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 232
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 232
I wonder if I have the same problem as Leon. Mine starts and dies. It doesn't look like there are any gasket leaks. When I do get it to finally catch and run it's OK so I don't know if one of my rings is cocked or not. I've got 21 in. of vacuum when I can keep it running.Didn't mean to hijack this thread.Is it necessary to run the rings? I put studs in the head for Int and Exh.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

wes,

If you have 21 inches of vacuum, you most likely have no vacuum leak.

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Joe, I set the timing further advanced, 'cause California Bill told me to. I ended up that far advanced, through road testing, you know, drive up a big hill and accel from 20mph, listen for knocks.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
The vacuum gauge would be a handy tool for this project, seen guys work on this for a week only to discover a giant vacuum leak. I had a difficult time with my dual carbs due to crappy linkage and throttle plates not working exactly together. The vac gauge is the best tool for setting timing as that original timing mark will be way off with dual carbs, cam etc etc.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 375
Sounds like vacuum to me too. I had trouble with this intake and a set of 2 bbls. The problem was with the gasket under the carbs. They weren't cut right. Made my own gaskets and now everything is good.


Jerry Acheson
Indianapolis, IN
57 Chevy 3100
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 16
N
New Guy
New Guy
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 16
Well I finally got the engine started long enough to mess with the carbs. I am having an issue with fast idle and when the idle settles down it stalls out. Any suggestions?

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
Make sure you have a good fuel pump and fuel line, old ones can restrict flow. Also you should make sure the carbs are set up properly, floats set at correct level etc.
Also as I mentioned, get a vacuum gauge, connect to your intake manifold and set your mixture, timing etc to highest vacuum, it's a great tool and inexpensive.

Be sure to look down the bore of the carbs and get the linkage set so the throttle plates open exactly together, then you can set mixture etc.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,219
Sounds like you are fighting a loosing battle. Take my advice and block one carb off till you get the first one running. Then do the second one. You have doubled the problems plus some by adding a new intake. Just one change at a time can drive you nuts, you have three or four going at once. Rebuilt carbs are a problem all by them self!

Vacuum leaks can cause all kinds of problems, and since yours won't idle below a fast idle, I would bet you have one or more leaks.

Even though you have 21", its not at an idle so it doesn't count. Until you can get it down to 600 or 650 steady rpm, the gauge won't tell you much. Even a small leak will cause a big problem with dual or triple carbs, you all ready have 1/2 the air flow through each one so cut that down with a leak and you could be in 1/4 to 1/8 th of the air flow the carb was designed for.

If you can get it started again, leave it at the rpm it wants to run at and spray WD-40 or Carb cleaner around the bases and gaskets, if it rev's up you found your leak.

Joe


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0