Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Gray_Ghost),
87
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,541 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 321 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 321 | Ok guys, I know this isn't an exact science, but I am trying to pick a color for my burb here, and I really like this one. I've tried to track down who owns this, but I haven't had much luck, just the guy who shot the photo, and I doubt he's knows. Does anybody know who's Suburban this is? Any guesses on the color. I've spent some time on TCP global's website, and my guess is either Bordeaux Maroon (1939 chev) or Cape Maroon, but it looks to dark for Cape Maroon. Does anybody have any other photos of a Cape Maroon truck or resources on these colors? Thanks Patrick http://www.allcarcentral.com/Chevrolet/Chevrolet_Suburban_Carryall_1951_Rick_Feibusch_2009.jpg
Last edited by pplummer; 01/05/2010 2:57 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | I'd bet that Cape Maroon (47-52) was most likely deep dark maroon. There are paint chips linked-to in the 47-55 Paint Colors Tech-Tip (but they are 55+ year old, discolored, scanned, and poorly rendered via html-colors and PC monitors). PPG probably has a modern formula that closely matches the original color (instructions for contacting PPG are give at the bottom of the Tech-Tip). | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 2,201 | I would guess that color is not an original factory selection. I would put it in the brown category instead of maroon. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 204 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 204 | Patrick, I have a piece of scrap metal that was shot with Burgundy Maroon, as described in the tech tip Tim listed above. If you are interested I can cut off a piece and send it to you along with the PPG number that I used to order it. Surprisingly this color is matched by PPG as a 90's vintage ford truck color. If interesed send me a PM with your address. Regards, Mike My old truck's still running good, my ticker's ticking like they say it should, I got supper in the oven, a good woman's loving, and even my bad days aint that bad...Yeah, I'm a lucky man! 1953 Chevy 3100 Shortbed1965 C-30 Panel Truck 1963 C-20 Long/Fleet Pick-up California Black Plate
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 1,038 | Patrick, I pulled out my '51 Salesmen Truck Data Book and looked at the paint chips in the back. Given the limitations of matching colors on a computer screen, that truck looks very similar to Cape Maroon. If anything, the truck is a bit lighter than my paint chip.
I am restoring a '50 COE that was originally black. I worked on the fenders and decided to try Mariner Blue. I had the paint shop mix up a quart, based on the PPG numbers in the Tech Tip and the color matched my chip very well. If you want to stay original, you could try that, or just go with anything that suits your fancy.
Kent | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | "Maroon is derived from French marron ("chestnut")"
| | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 321 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 321 | Thanks guys. You're the best. I think I'll order a pint of Cape Maroon and shoot a little bit on a panel and go from there. I can get a pint of Omni for about 20 bucks and I think it's worth it if you guys think it's Cape Maroon. I just want to make sure I get the really old looking nice (er um 40 ford) looking burgundy color while still shooting something really close to original. If the cape maroon is too red, then I'll keep searching. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 118 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 118 | Patrick, what color green was yours originally? Mine looks like yours and I want to go original. Thanks, Brian | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 321 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 321 | Brian,
My guess would be forrester green. I had one repaint by the looks of it when I had it blasted. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,270 | Patrick,
Could you tell if the body and fenders were the same color or different shades of green under the repaint?
| | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 321 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2007 Posts: 321 | Tim
It's hard to say. I'd have to go back through my photos. It's been so long since I've had paint on it. I've seen nothing but shades of grey for the last two months :-) Tim, have a look at my other post here regarding the test panels if you get a chance. They mixed the wicker brown as a metallic. | | |
| |