The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 45
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 45
I have a '33 1 1/2 ton truck and i need help. I disconnected the bolts holding the front/center propeller covers and that's about as far as i got. How do you split the driveline. I need these off so i can inspect the clutch/pressure plate. For pics see my album. There are 20 something pics.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy


http://s925.photobucket.com/home/jeremy5756/allalbums


The only dumb question... is the question you didn't ask...- Unknown
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I can't speak to the 33 from experience but if you have slid the cover back from the tranny...and taken the 4 bolts loose/out, the "yoke" should slide back far enough to be out of the way....I think. Someone with first hand knowledge should be along shortly but maybe this will get you going in the right direction.
It may require a small pry bar to "break it loose" and slid back or maybe a long handle screwdriver.
Keep us posted on your progress.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 45
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 45
I slid the center cover back and can see the universal joint. But, i can't see how it seperates. As for the front shaft i can't even see the joint with the cover slid back. See pics in album. This is as far as i got.

Jeremy


http://s925.photobucket.com/home/jeremy5756/allalbums


The only dumb question... is the question you didn't ask...- Unknown
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
Use some coarse emery cloth, and polish the outside of the torque tube. The ball assembly should slide back further, exposing more of the universal joint. I believe the rear end will have to be unbolted and rolled back to get the driveshaft out of the u-joint spline.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 45
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 45
WOW!! This going to be a job. Now, i did read an 1 1/2 ton manuel that says to drive a pin out and the UJ will seperate. I don't see the pin.


http://s925.photobucket.com/home/jeremy5756/allalbums


The only dumb question... is the question you didn't ask...- Unknown
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
... Ok, I'm not the expert here and just trying to help you work this out.... on some of the bigger trucks were they not 2 pieces?

Also, when you slid the collar back you may not "see" the bolts holding the driveline to the back of the tranny but maybe its because the "locks" oare bent over the nuts and you can't see them??? Once you get the bolts loose their are usually little "cups" that pull back out of the tranny tail shaft...that is on the pickups.
And, as Hotrod Lincoln said, I have also read sometime/somewhere that it may be necessary to unbolt the rear housing and pull it back?
Hope all this helps lead you in the right direction.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 45
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 45
Thanks Achipmunk, I'll try unbolting the rearend and slide it back.

I appreciate all you guys' help.

Jeremy


http://s925.photobucket.com/home/jeremy5756/allalbums


The only dumb question... is the question you didn't ask...- Unknown
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 13
W
New Guy
New Guy
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 13
I havent checked your pictures yet but I will. I just pulled the tranny twice in my 32 half ton and it was pretty simple. like someone suggested, I cleaned the torque tube housing really well behind the collar. then took four bolts out of that weird looking ujoint. was a little tricky getting to them but once they were out, the yoke slice far enough back on the shaft to allow the tranny to lift out. the first time, I didnt know this and I undid all the spring U-bolts and all.. and slid the whole axle housing back.. totally unnecessary if you are just removing the tranny

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 13
W
New Guy
New Guy
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 13
I was confused, the album said 1 half ton. I didnt at first catch that meant(ton and a half) appears to be different than my little pickup. sorry.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
If you can get the rear bell slid back far enough to unbolt the u-joint from the intermediate shaft, it might not be necessary to drop the rear axle. Once that's done, the torque tube and driveshaft assembly can probably be unbolted from the crossmember. The "pin" you're refering to might be through the rear shaft, securing it to the universal joint yoke. I'm not sure it's there, but look closely for it once the bell slides back far enough to expose the u-joint fully.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 45
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 45
Hotrod/wenatcheeman, The thing with my driveline it's all clean so, i can see where the shaft slides (stops). This weekend i'll do a once over and prob slide the rearend back.

Jeremy


http://s925.photobucket.com/home/jeremy5756/allalbums


The only dumb question... is the question you didn't ask...- Unknown

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0