The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinToms53, klhansen, Otto Skorzeny, Southerntruck, Mike B, Robert Crandall, Peggy M), 95 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,646
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
I picked up a late model 235 with the 848 head for a good price, but its been sitting a few years.

I did a cold compression test and got these results:

1: 55 psi
2: 110
3: 110
4: 130
5: 0
6: 40

I did a redneck leakdown test by blowing compressed air in the cylinders, and found 3 valves were stuck partially open. I didn't feel any air coming from the dipstick tube.

I pulled the head, and confirmed that the 3 valves I suspected wern't closing all the way. The #1,#6 intake wern't open all that much, but the #5 exhaust was open quite a bit, explaining the 0 reading.

Now, this is my first project, so I don't know a whole lot about this sorta stuff. Before I send it off to a machine shop I want some opinions.

I worked both stuck intake valves and soaked them in seafoam, and they seem to work fine with the head sitting on a bench. I put a puddle of seamfoam on all the intake valves, and it took about an hour for the seamfoam to leak from all of them. Should it be a perfect seal or is this acceptable?

Sorry for the long ramble, any help would be great. Heres a few pictures of the patient.

http://i50.tinypic.com/209j4o4.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/33vnnuc.jpg

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 90
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 90
Judging by the carbon deposits that are visible, you may have more carbon build up in the exhaust ports as well as on the valve seats.

Clean it off and put it back together, it might run fine.
Just be careful about where the carbon chips go.
Ray

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Those are nice photos. I really like looking inside these old sixes!

I think you need to get rid of the carbon on the Head. I would do the rings and rear main while it is on the shop floor.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 29
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 29
Mine looked about the same as yours. I cleaned the carbon off ran some old wore out emery paper thru the guides (I just rolled it up and ran it thru, but not too much to make them sloppy - just not sticky)and then lapped all the valves with compound and the old fashion suction cup type tool. New head gasket and everything was fine with 110# to 118# on all six. I had bad compression On two cyl. before I started.

Last edited by chevymgb; 12/31/2009 3:34 AM.
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
oven cleaner works like magic to remove carbon


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
Look for marks on the pistons and valves to determine if they made contact with each other. Make sure the valves didn't get bent.

You might as well pull the valves out and at least lap the seats like chevymgb suggests. That way you can clean them up real good and replace aparts as needed.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
While the head is apart, soak it for a hour or so in your favorite degreaser, I like Castrol Super Clean, and then hit the car wash for a hot soapy wash. It will come very clean and be a lot easer to handle for the overhaul. Oven cleaner works great for this. You can do this after lapping the valves, that way you clean all the compound out at the same time.

Joe


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0