| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Ole49GMC),
109
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,115 Posts1,056,292 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 3 | I have a '77 SWB frame that I've overhauled, put in a 6.0 LQ9/4L80E, PS, PB, new 3.42 gears with LockRite gear locker, etc. ready for a body.
I had another setup in mind that didn't work out (a '48 Studebaker) so now I am searching for an early model PU that will fit on a '77 frame. The Studebaker was too narrow for a '77 wheel width.
Can you guys direct me to a data source that will give info on wheelbase and wheel width on early Chevy pickups so that I can figure out what model(s) to look for? Thanks.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | A '41 to '46 Chevy/GMC has a front of about 57 inches and is about 72 inches over the front fenders. '46 Chevy dimensions A '47 to '55 1st Chevy/GMC has a front tread width of 57 inches and is just over 72 inches wide at the front fenders. '54 Chevy dimensionsA '55 2nd to '59 Chevy/GMC has a front tread width of 61 inches and the width across the front fenders is just over 74 inches. '59 Chevy dimensionsI don't have a ready source for '60 and later data, but I suspect you'll find that a '60 or later is the easiest fit.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 328 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 328 | Does anybody have the dimensions of a big bolt front end. I know it is wider and has larger wheel openings and might work well with the frame and driveline that you currently have
Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I would go 60-66 era. Pretty much the same track width, Scott | | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | Big Bolt fenders are almost 3" wider than the small bolt.
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | 74.88 compared to 72.66. Call it 2-1/4 inches...
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2009 Posts: 3 | Thanks to all who have replied, and thanks to the Administrator who placed my topic in the right area.
This is exactly the info I was searching for. Now I know what bodies to look for.
I am ignorant as to what a "big bolt" is, could one of you enlighten me? Thanks for your time.
This is an awsome site. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | A "bigbolt" is a 1 1/2 ton or bigger! The fenders and wheel openings are enlarged for the 20" wheels, Scott | | |
| |
| |