| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (frogfarmer),
116
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,268 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 486 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 486 | Can a pto be added to an SM420 transmission that came from the factory without one or will I need to find a transmission that has one already on it. Thanks for any insight.
'64 swb stepside (gone) '57 1 ton '53 phone truck '59 swb '46 1 1/2 ton '68 swb gmc
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,804 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,804 | There's a square or rectangular plate bolted onto the side of the case on all the SM-420's I've seen, that's where the PTO mounts. You'll need an assortments of gaskets of different thickness to adjust the backlash of the drive gear (very important from a reliability and noise standpoint), and depending on the function of the PTO you choose to use, it might be necessary to install an adapter between the case and the PTO with an idler gear in it. What sort of accessory do you intend to power? Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 486 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2006 Posts: 486 | I've been offered the lifting cylinders and framework from a later model 1-ton dump bed for cheap. I was considering converting my 3800 to a dump but I really don't think it's worth it just for the novelty. I really don't need a dump bed, just thought it might be cool. I think I'll stick to the problems I already have. Thanks for the info.
'64 swb stepside (gone) '57 1 ton '53 phone truck '59 swb '46 1 1/2 ton '68 swb gmc
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | It's an SAE 6 bolt opening on the RH side. Unless you can find one used it could prove expensive. The good news is that there are thousands of used ones in wrecking yards still on the trucks. It's a common transmission and was used for many years.
You didn't say that the hoist came with a pump or not. If not then a better and less costly way could be a 12v-DC elctro-hydraulic unit if the cylinders are not too large in fluid capacity. Electric units generally don't like more than a couple of gallons of reservoir capacity. A gear or piston pump could cost a lot more. If you do decide to go ahead with it then send me an e-mail and a full description of the hoist and what your getting and I can advise you on exactly what you'd require and where to get it.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | I really don't need a dump bed, just thought it might be cool. should you proceed on this till completion you'll be surprised how you ever did without one. plus you will have many new friends  | | | | | Joined: May 2011 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2011 Posts: 9 | Hi There I have two SM420 boxes in my trucks, on with PTO and one without. I'm planning to use the PTO box in my project truck and the "might be cool" thought crossed my mind. Unfortunately no pump, hoist, frame or cylinders... Soo I might blank it off or find a novel use for it. I would like to see the linkage that engages it though. Images of my trucks (down the bottom) are at: https://www.pinterest.com.au/calenfeorn/project-truck/ | | |
| |
| |