The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, CharlieF), 102 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,080
Posts1,056,294
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#599564 12/09/2009 3:42 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 461
Don't know about the rest of you,but buying a used tire to replace one in a set or just some scrubs for the daily driver is tough. I learned that you should avoid anything over two years old because they deteriorate with age. You can tell the age of the tire by checking the sidewall for a string of letters that start with "DOT". At the end there is a 4 digit number that tells you the week and year the tire was manufactured. Example 2609 would be the 26th week of 2009. If you are looking to save some coin hope this will help.
Hank

Last edited by Hankdogg; 12/09/2009 3:44 AM.

1951 restoration on website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.hanklong.com
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The date code will only be found on 1 side of the tire, the rest of the DOT number will be on both sides. The DOT code also has the manufacturer code, which tell where it was made. That code is the first 2 characters in the code. If anyone needs to know where their tires came from, let me know, I have all the plant codes.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Bill, if the list isn't very long and you have the time, how about listing them here for the record?


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
The book is about 40 pages, all but 13 of them are codes. I could break it down to the common tires that we might run across on a 'Bolt, with maybe some of the odd ones just in case.
I do know off the top of my head one code that is no longer used. Now, this isn't a joke, but the code is VD. That was the code for Decatur IL Firestone plant, which has been closed. That's where most of the Wilderness tires form the Explorer fiasco came from.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I think its also worth noting that the dating of tires is a recent thing compared to our old trucks. I don't know off hand when it started, perhaps Bill does, but I know I have tires that pre-date the system.

For those who are worried, none of those really old tires are on anything that is licensed and runs on the road!


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I beleive it started in the late '80s. The dating system changed in '00 to the current 4 digit format. The early format was 3 digit, using the first 2 as the week and the last was the year.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
This did start sometime ago. I remember when the "gov't" would send you the code book free. It was sent to me out of Colorado and I used it for a long time. Then when I tried to get another one they didn't have them... well, they sent me something but not even close to what I wanted.
Bill, its good to know they still publish something. Is there a chance we can get one of the books????

Also, there was much talk here a while back, and a nice article describing the situation in Old Cars Weekly not long ago. The thinking then, by the "officials" was that tires should NOT be used after they are 6 years old. Which means the tire companies would have to watch their inventory and buyers of "discount" tires would have to be careful. I have seen tires that were ran often, and kept inside that still looked great after several years. But they may be the exception. It would depend on temperature, moisture, tire dressing if any.... and other factors I'm sure. That Old Cars Weekly article was very good describing the chemicals and all the other stuff and their lifes expectancy. Wish I had cut it out and kept it.

EDIT: the book I got from Colorado with the info was back mid to late 70's.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 12/09/2009 4:34 AM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Originally Posted by LONGBOX55
The book is about 40 pages, all but 13 of them are codes.

I guess typing it up would be a hassle. Never mind.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by cletis
I guess typing it up would be a hassle. Never mind.

Especially since someone already did.

Tire Manufacturer Codes

Just a few seconds on Google and here it is.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
The tire date code goes back farther than most people think. The United States Department of Transportation (USDOT or just DOT) is a federal Cabinet department of the United States government concerned with transportation. It was established by an act of Congress on October 15, 1966 and began operation on April 1, 1967. It is administered by the United States Secretary of Transportation.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0