The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bill Hanlon, 50Chevy3100, 1 invisible), 178 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,257
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#596925 11/30/2009 7:16 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
I picked up a 1950 chevy 6400 this weekend for $200. This is going to be my first attempt to work on anything this old. So far i a can tell it is going to need the floors, cab corners, and roof replaced or i may just try to find a rust free cab. If i keep this cab and end up replacing the roof, it is likely going to get chopped about 4 inches. The overall goal of this truck is to be able to haul my toyota rock crawler around without a trailer. I plan on a 14 foot flatbed, 427TD motor, sticking with the SM420 and adding a brownie box to get overdrive. I know i am going to have a million stupid questions so i will say thank you in advace. Anyway here are some pics of the truck the day i got it home.
http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/album777/Crawler_Hauler_1

Jeromy #596929 11/30/2009 7:40 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
NICE, So what is wrong with the cab? that'll buff out.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
the roof seems to be rusted inside and outside and doesn't hold its shape real well. I am afraid that once the rust is gone it is going to be to thin. The floors are toast and the driverside rear cab corner is rusted out. After a quick look on LMC just those patch panels would be $800-900. I plan to fix the rust but not the dents....adds character.

Jeromy #597129 12/01/2009 4:31 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
Using patch panels and retaining the original character is difficult. Wherever you weld, you will have to paint it to keep it from rusting and the new paint will clash with the old. You might just want to repair the floor. The roof is probably stronger than you think. It may just have surface rust. It was common for people to use the roof as a step when hauling hay or cattle. I would let someone who has body work experience look at the roof. It is quite possible that it can be bumped out.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 720
Another option for the roof is after you have the rust removed from the inside trat it with POR-15 and maybe a layer of fiberglass mat. It will rust proof it forever and enforce the thin metal.


1956 GMC 370 dump " 'Tater "
1970 VW Volksrod "the Black Bomber"
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk,
2005 Harley Davidson FLHTCUI

I dig all cars, old and new, whether they were hammered out of American iron, German steel, or Japanese tin cans. Being unable to appreciate them all is missing out on a world of great things.
But thats just MY opinion!
:P
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
I may try the por-15, i have never used it but have heard good things about it. I added a couple pics of the damage to the original link. The cab corner is rusted both inside and out and the roof seems to be rusted worse from the inside than the outside. The truck will be disasembled and everything will get sanded down and primered and probably some roll on paint. I want this truck to look like an old beat up farm truck, but i want it to look like a nice beat up old farm truck if that makes any since. I want everything working 100% so that anyone can jump in and take off down the road.

Last edited by Jeromy; 12/01/2009 6:48 PM.
Jeromy #597299 12/01/2009 8:48 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
If chopping a top is in the realm of your ability, possibly a top transplant would be in order. There are lots of parts trucks around with a good top and not much else. If that's an option, I would patch the rust with angel hair to get by until you decide about a top chop.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 141
I'd try to find another cab.
Chris

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Body doesn't look that bad to me....top looks fine from what I can see. I haven't seen the inside, but it looks like surface rust. A body guy should be able to quickly get the roof back in shape. Cab corners are an easy patch as well as the floors.

Once you are done with the body work (that you are going to do) then I would suggest can or gun spray paint and the best way I have found to make an older looking paint job is to have layers. Shoot some black on first to protect it, then some colored primer (color of your choice). You can then wet sand to get a semi gloss look, and have some of the black show thru. You can also use any base color you want as long as it is paint as opposed to primer so it protects against rust. Allow more of the under-color to show thru on top surfaces such as the top of hood, fenders and roof.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Tomcoe #597652 12/02/2009 10:41 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
the cab is just going to have to be something i tackle when i get that far. The guy i got the truck from has a 5 window cab for $250 that he says only needs the floor replaced. It is to cold here for me to even start working on this thing, so i am trying to find parts.

I have read all the discussions on air brakes, but has only ever fitted modern semi axles under a 2-ton? i figure the front beam axle could be narrowed the same as the p30 and you would get airride and 22.5 wheels and tires. the price of the axles might be more than they are worth , but there is an old mack truck for sale up the road for $1900 so a cheap parts truck might be found.

Jeromy #597667 12/02/2009 11:45 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I doubt you can take a semi truck axle and narrow it to fit under an AD truck.
There is a limited amount of room between the centerline of the wheel and the frame/springs. A semi truck axle has a lot of stuff in that space, to much stuff.

There are some medium duty axles with air brakes that will come closer to fitting, but I still think you'll have a difficult time making it work.
Check some imported cab over trucks, they're generally smaller and may be small enough to work?

Not all that many semi trucks come with air ride front suspension.
Not that you can't make something, but just having a semi truck front axle doesn't get you a workable front air suspension.

I too am on the lookout for air brakes for my 2 ton. What I'd really like are air disc brakes that I can adapt to fit my current P-30 axles.
So far all the air disc brake calipers take very specific size rotors, (no room to fudge on diameter) and the one caliper that looks suitable for my truck accepts a rotor that is no where close to adapting to fit, and I can't find any substitutes that are any better just yet.

Give it a few more years for more of the air disc brakes to trickle in from Europe and I bet we start seeing ones that might work, probably on delivery trucks and other medium duty stuff.

If you want to pretend you have air brakes you could use an air over hydraulic setup. Not saying it's a good idea, but it is an option.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Grigg #597668 12/03/2009 12:02 AM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
i am not to worried about the airride for the front, I plan on putting a dovetail on my flatbed and would like the airbags to drop the back of the truck to drive on and off without ramps. As long as i can get the back of the bed around 20 inches off the ground then drivng on and off isn't to big of a deal even with a dead truck, but lower is always better. I am just looking for alternatives. I know the p30s come with 19.5s and to small of a tire, so something with a stock 22.5 would be perfect. I am new to the big trucks so i haven't seen to many up close.

Last edited by Jeromy; 12/03/2009 12:11 AM.
Jeromy #597695 12/03/2009 1:17 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Here are some wheel and tire options:
http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/wheels/

I've got 22.5" wheels and tires on my 2 ton with P30 axles, simply bolt on, details in the above Tech Tip.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Grigg #597824 12/03/2009 5:24 AM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
An axle from a larger truck would be no problem to fit under your frame. However the ratio would be way to fast because todays trucks are geared for 70 mph at about 1500 RPM, Fitting an air ride suspension would be relatively simple too. However, dumping the suspension will only lower you 4 to 5 inches. We have suspension dumps on all of our trailers to ease getting under a loaded trailer. If you will look at your truck now and imagine removing the rear springs, that is as far as you can drop before the axle housing hits the frame. The lift axles you see on trucks are dead drop axles, not drive axles. Also what are you going to do for air? When you drive, the airbags are constantly inflating and deflating to compensate for the road. This takes a lot of air.

Jeromy #597838 12/03/2009 6:14 AM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 18
Jeromy,

Reminds me of my $250 '49 4400 from 10 yrs ago. http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/BAFTUB/49Chev4400for300.jpg
Feature Stovebolt story to come out soon.

How about a cheap coat of paint to start?, then you can plan the project driveline and suspension.

Also, I picked up '45 Art Deco 2Ton (El Gringo Loco) last month ($100).
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/BAFTUB/IMG_0429.jpg
First thing I did after air-blowing out the crap inside/out was a coat of paint to stabilize it for the winter. One quart of basic (Oil) enamel, 2" brush, 1 1/2 hrs time, in the cold. Total ~$10. Cab corner rust, roof dings, floor rust, fender rust/dings.
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/BAFTUB/IMG_0523.jpg

The finish was easier and looks better than a roller. It stopped any further rust till I get to it later next yr.
He sleeps outside for this winter. Long term plan is a tilt deck for my race car.
Look for the story in the Stovebolt Sagas next week.

Rick M.

Last edited by Rick Metcalfe; 12/03/2009 6:18 AM.

The sooner we get older, the later we get smarter.
The Older I get, the Faster I was!


1945 Chevy Art Deco 2-Ton Truck ~ El Gringo Loco
1949 Chevy Magnum Cab ... to be!
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
I think 1500rpm would be good with my 427 and the long flat roads we have here. The Brownie box i am going to use is a Spicer 7231-D
2.14:1-underdrive
1.00:1--direct
0.86:1--overdrive
So i should have plenty of options as far as gearing goes.

5inches of drop at the axle could be as much as 8-10 at the back of the flat bed, depending on how long the flat bed is. I plan on using either the stock air compressor off my 427 TD which was in a C60 if i can get it to fit under the hood. Or i can get a york air compressor. I guess the biggest reason i was looking at the semi axles is because i am cheap.....i know...i should get another hobby. But half the fun for me is figuring out different ways to do something without spending a lot of money. I have less than 4K tied up in my toyota rockcwaler and keep up with the guys in 30k buggys. here is my GF playing around in it. http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/Jeromys-Toy/At_the_river

I have an 83 chevy 1-ton 4x4 i concidered using for parts as it has the same D70 HD that a P30 has except i would be stuck with 8 lug 16.5 wheels. I can also get a 97 chevy 1-ton 2wd dually with a vortec 454 and NV4500 for $1200, but again tires and wheels are the limiting factor without spending big bucks. Honestly the possiblities are endless at this point and they make my head hurt.

Jeromy #597976 12/03/2009 8:06 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
Looks like a fun project you've got there. With as many of these old grain trucks as there are abandoned in fields in this area, I think you could easily get a better cab.

I also like to hang out at the river, but I am on my four-wheeler usually playing in the mud.


Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by 53GMCPhil
Looks like a fun project you've got there. With as many of these old grain trucks as there are abandoned in fields in this area, I think you could easily get a better cab.

I also like to hang out at the river, but I am on my four-wheeler usually playing in the mud.

if you see my toyota out there stop and say hi. I was wondering if there was anyone in Amarillo working on these old trucks. I see a lot of 60s and 70s running around but hardly anything from the 50s.

Jeromy #603807 12/23/2009 5:47 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
I am going to look at another truck this next weekend, I know the cab isn't in much better shape than mine. He says the truck drove to its present location 4 years ago but had no brakes. He also said the bed hydrualics worked before it was parked. I think the biggest selling point is the guy has the title and i dont have one for mine yet. The guy is asking $200 for it as well....what do you guys think, should i go get it?
www.texas4x4.org/gallery/albums/album777/San_jon.jpg

Jeromy #603950 12/24/2009 2:23 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
If you buy the truck for $200 to get the title and strip off the dunp bed you would end up with about 5000 pounds of junk steel. Junk steel is selling for about $5 per 100 pounds (check the going rate in your town) making the rusty remains worth about $250. So in the long haul you end up with a dump bed and a title for free (less your time).

Go for it!

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Mike B #604038 12/24/2009 9:12 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 584
Given enough room where you live, why bring it home for 200...plus if you don't scrap it, you'd have parts....then again, I'll probably have a wrecking yard before I die cause I just can't turn down an affordable bolt.


When I yield to Him, it's amazing how peaceful and enjoyable life is meant to be.

1947 Chevy COE
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More photos
Jeromy #604486 12/26/2009 3:39 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 28
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 28
Hi,
Looks like a great project. Do you have plans to keep the stock rims? If not I would be interested in them if they are not a center type of split rim.
Best Regards,
Phil Stewart

Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
I am going to go get the other truck this weekend. Hopefully it is in better shape than the pics...yea right lol...I am already working on the wrecking yard at my place as it is. This truck will make 7 cars or trucks that are not running.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to coat the flatbed with? I know it is going to be rusty but it would cost any arm and a leg to por 15 it.

Phil, my current rims are split rims so if by chance these are not then i will be using them on my project till i do an axle swap.

Jeromy #607080 01/04/2010 5:15 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
Note to self, a 16ft utility trailer is to small to haul a big bolt with a dump bed. The truck fit just fine but all the weight was on the back of the trailer. I could do 33mph but it would start swaying at 34mph. Took me about 4 hours to get it home. The bed is in worse shape than i had hoped for. I think the metal on the top is going to have to be cut off so i can replace the wood underneth it.
www.texas4x4.org/gallery/albums/album777/dump2.jpg
www.texas4x4.org/gallery/albums/album777/dump1.jpg
www.texas4x4.org/gallery/albums/album777/dump3.jpg

Last edited by Jeromy; 01/04/2010 6:53 PM.
Jeromy #607127 01/04/2010 8:11 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Nice find Jeromy
BTW I can tell you that depending on the size of the big bolt even a 24' trailer can prove to be to small it is kind of like a garage they are never big enough. The bigger they are the more stuff you will cram in to it LOL.[IMG]http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/44347/2975267100096773078S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG]


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 15
I have the chance to purchace a set of axles for my truck they are mid 80s chevy axles probably C70? It is all 3 axles they have webb hubs and air brakes. He is asking $300 for all three axles and the older tube style wheels and then will throw in 4 20" tubless wheels. I just have no clue about these axles. Any info you guys can provide will help me make my decision.

Jeromy #617348 02/06/2010 4:44 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 328
Have you made any progress? I am sure the weather has slowed your build. Maybe it will be ready for next years mud bogs/sand drags?


Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0