Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,542 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 83 | difference! Actually drove the 48 1/2 ton on I-70 today and didn't get run over. I think I was going 55-60 and the RPMs were much lower. Enjoyable when compared to past trips! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 | Just getting out on I-70 is a feat in itself. You can get run over if you are not running 75 or better !
Joe | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 | Thats great, did you get any people looking at you. What is your tire size and what was the previous gear and how was acceleration off the line and thru the gears ? Dan
Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it. 101st Screaming Eagles
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 ODSS Lawman | | ODSS Lawman Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,418 | 3:55 gears is in my top 2 items I have done to my truck along with the 261. I have made several attempts at trying to break the sound barrier.
Today I am performing my third 3:55 gear swap for Phil's 1950 Suburban. Fun Fun Fun
SWEET Sergeant At Arms: Old Dominion Stovebolt Society BUNS?!?!?!Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....1950 GMC 450 1951 Chevy 1/2-TonThe GreenMachineIn the Stovebolt Gallery | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | That's good to hear, Tony. I have the same setup as you, 3.55 behind a 261 but it's not on the road yet. You can unclench your teeth now. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | I went to 20" tires.I now can't drag race a Grayhound. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 83 | Several persons looking at me, older semi truck drivers, slowed down to look. But got new problems today. Drove the truck to Arrowhead and watched my tigers win. Got in the truck and it wouldn't start. Pushed it , wouldn't start. Jumped it and it sstarted. Drove it home with friends in front and back , lights went out about 3/4 of the way home. Then people honked at me for no lights. Parked it in my driveway, tried to start it and it was drained of energy. Have a short somewhere. Why doesn't my alternator charge the battery when running//Oh old trucks | | | | | Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 83 | slow. Really slow. With 3:55 it has no noticeable difference in power, first gear is still really low. Doesn't seem to make the truck faster, but you can now cruise at 50-55 and the RPMs are much lower. Has to be easier on the engine. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | You need to charge up the battery & check the charging system. Has it been working since you put in the alt.? If you need some help let me know. I can come by & check it. [email protected] They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 | I live in the north east corner of Lee's Summit, I can come by to if you need some help. Joe
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 83 | Hey, that would be great. I am no mechanic. My phone is 816-714-4635. Maybe call me this week later on, I am still recovering from the game. Thanks, any advice would be great. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 83 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 83 | Joe, you are the closest, your truck looks great! Give me a call my phone is 816-714-4635. I live in Raintree Lake sub division. Where do you store your truck? Call a little later in the week, still recovering from the game. Thanks for your offer. I have it on the trickle charger now, hope I didn't ruin the battery. Mike | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,226 | I work over at the School distric bus garage, 1:00pm to 9:00pm M-F. My truck is in my garage, so I can get out when I want. May next weekend we can figure out what happened to your charging system. ( what time are you home, I can call later in the week)
Joe | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | You folks need to do your private messaging by Private Message. | | |
| |