The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (TUTS 59, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, Gray_Ghost, Jon G, Rick Brown, Wally / Montana), 98 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,594
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#591989 11/12/2009 10:13 PM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 17
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 17
I have a 64 c10 in-cab tank and I can't get the sender gasket to seal for long.

First I tried Aviation Form-a-Gasket Sealant - lasted ~1 month then started seeping.

Second I tried Permatex #1 - lasted ~6 months and now it's seeping again.

I'm using the rubber gasket that came with the new sender. Is there some other gasket material that'll work better? Is there a better gasket sealer?

Tanks!
Terry

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 843
There is a product called Seal-All.That is for gas.That would do it.
It's odd however,my 52 uses a rubber gasket,and I didn't use sealant.No leaks.Humm Now you have me worried grin

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 17
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 17
Thanks! I'll try that. Maybe I should've not used any sealant in the first place.

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 59
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 59
I had similiar problems in my 54. I used seal-all and it has held for the past year. Also make sure your gas cap is venting. When your gas tank gets warm it builds up pressure and the pressure finds the weakest link. Which sounds like your gasket. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Permatex Super 300 is a brush-on sealer that was developed to resist aviation gasoline. It's NOT the same stuff as the 3D brush-on liquid- - - -Super 300 is almost black while 3D is brown. A thin layer of Super 300, and a cork gasket if you can find or make one, should solve your problem. Most parts stores have sheet cork gasket material, and you can use your rubber gasket as a template to cut a cork one out.
Jerry




"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I had the same problem in my '50. I had bought a new gascap. It was vented, but required a few pounds of pressure to vent. I drilled a hole in the vent. Now its fine!



Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0