The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gray_Ghost, TUTS 59, Jon G, Wally / Montana, Simon1954, rfs56trk), 249 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,157
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
I'm doing a rebuild project on a 1958 Apache pickup with the stock 235 inline 6. Adding power steering & air conditioning. All the kits I've found for brackets and from 'Classic Air' mount the compressor under the alternator (yes, it's been updated to an alternator system) on the driver side of the engine. This means either the power steering pump or the compressor will have to be mounted on the passenger side. Has anyone done this or know of any aftermarket brackets that will allow this kind of set-up? There is only one unused bolt hole on the front of the head on the passenger side that would accomodate a bracket. This image shows the setup I am referring to. Thanks. [img]http://www.tswf.com/hrai/images/bracket10_3011_sm.gif[/img]

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Maybe I'm imagining things but it looks like the A/C compressor pulley must be "on" or engaged so it would pull the alternator which gets it power from the compressor. Can that be right?

It also looks like you could get a two groove water pump pulley and run the PS pump from it and mount it above and inside the alternator. It would require some fabrication but does appear to be at least one possible solution. It would then be one the left side of the engine or perhaps even swap it to the bottom A/C location.
Better yet check out the wrecking yards for 59-62 Impalas with PS and AC on a BlueFlame Six.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
I've got AC, PS pump and Alternator mounted on my 235 in my '61.
You can view pics, and some narrative of how I did it at www.picturetrail.com/yachtcare
Look in the "Apache 10" folder. Not saying someone else may not have a better solution, but it will give you an idea or two. I bought the bracket set up from "classic air" IIRC. Then made modifications from there. HTH.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It looks to me that the compressor would not have to be on to drive the alt. but that is a poor setup. It puts a huge load on the compressor belt with only about a 1/3 of the pulley makeing contact. It will squeal & burn up belts.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
I've got the same set up you have, got it from Patrick's.

I've been trying to figure out how to mount a powersteering pump myself.

So far all I've come up with (and not done) is to put it on the passanger side of the block using a bracket from a early landcruiser inline six, which has a timing cover that sticks out just like the stovebolt. Part of the bracket bolts to the timing cover!

You will need a two groove crank pulley, which is kind hard to come by. what you can do is pull yours, drill out the rivets holding the singe grove in place. Get a balancer from another engine wiht the same diameter balancer and do the same, then tap the holes from the rivets on your balancer and bolt the two groved pulley in place.

If you don't like that possibility, how about swapping the a/c and alternator in your set up (A/C above) and then building a alternator/power steering pump like the old generator/power steering pump combos from the 50s? One that uses the same axel... You could drill and tap the rear of the alternator axel and the front of the p/s pump you'd do threaded opposite. Then you could use a screw stud between them and the rotation would only tighten the screw.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 85
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 85
How about Vintage Air? wink

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
Thanks for the feedback guys. So far, I've come to realize no one has suck a bracket because there are such limited mounting holes on this old engine.
NM51, are you saying the timing cover from the Landcruiser fits the GM 235?

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
How about an Isuzu NPR alternator with power steering pump on the back?

Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
4.3in84toy,
Have you tried this in a Chevy?

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
For what it's worth, I have mounted my alternator on the passenger side of my engine. (See pictures on my site.) I don't have a power steering pump, but I certainly have room for one above the A/C compresor on the driver side of the engine.

On another note, there is a guy locally here that has built a power steering pump bracket for a 235 and mounted the assembly below the A/C compressor as you show it. The power steering unit is on bottom, the A/C compressor above it and the alternator above that. He has had success with the installation. I saw the installation and it looked good to me. He visits this site, I believe, and I'm positive he visits the Inliners site. His name is "Weldit". You might try a search and see if you can contact him for some help.

Good luck!

Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
2
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
2 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 324
6cylinder the guy that you are looking for is paulweldit. He has a hot rod shop in Hurst. He is kind of hard to get a hold of. Only works at night. He made the brackets for my disc. brake set up on my 53. I e-mailed him to check this topic.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
I have not done the isuzu alternator with pump. I saw it on a f*rd hot rod with chevy v8 and low alternator mount. When I asked he said it was a power steering pump. I just started searching google and I can't figure out whether it is a vacuum pump or power steering pump. I think I need to find an NPR to look at.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
235 Fat Fenders -

That's the fellow. I believe his name is Paul Neece. He's at 124 Harmon Road, but I don't have a phone number for him.

Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
Here's a picture of the isuzu alternator w/pump on the back. I'm not sure if its a p/s pump or vaccuum pump (which I could use for powerbrakes).

There are 100 amp alternators in this configuration for diesel engines.

Even if it is vaccuum I wonder if I couldn't swap the vaccuum pump for a p/s pump with remote resevoir.

Check out the picture and let me know what you think!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuz...QQitemZ8053513495QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
It's vacuum, and that could be useful if you want vacuum boosted brakes and a hefty cam, since with the cam you'll lose vacuum at higher rpms.

Wonder if it can be converted to p/s by swapping the pump?


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
G
Junior Member
Junior Member
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I spoke with Tom Langdon at Stovebolt. He is devising a passenger side mounting bracket that will mount between the thermostat housing and the coolant inlet hole on the front of the block. Basically as I understand it, it would be like tracing the thermostat housing to block gasket on paper and milling a steel gasket with the same dimensions as the gasket and having the bracket as one piece of steel, effectively having the mounting bracket held in place between the housing and the block and it's two bolts. He didn't give a specific time frame, but said within a month or two. I will keep bugging him on this. If you're interested, his number is: (586) 739-9601.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0