The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Simso, Roy Rodgers, Gray_Ghost), 91 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
While looking for 37 parts I found a 37 1/2 ton that has spare tires in both front fenders,is this a rare factory option or custom made.

Last edited by cletis; 10/28/2009 6:16 AM. Reason: deleted auction reference
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Jeff -
I believe those fenders are custom made for the use of the spare tire storage.
I have see pictures of 37's with a spare tire mounted on the left side of the bed between the back of the cab and the rear left fender with a small indention made on the fender. I have researched as much as I could and found out that such a fender was not a factory set up but custom made, perhaps by a Chevrolet dealer who made such for a customer who wanted it.
I suspect these front fenders fall into that category.
Chevrolet was proud that they found a way to store the spare tire under the bed in 1937. My guess is the fenders were made for the classic looks of dual sidemounts.

Last edited by 6cylindersovertexas; 10/28/2009 12:55 AM.

"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 42
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 42
my 54 has that drivers side rear fender that 6cylinder spoke of. I thought that was a factory deal, if not, where were the spares normally mounted?


Brian Hill
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Brian, by '54 the side mount was offered by Chevrolet as an option. I believe '53 was the first year. Should have an expert historian jump in here pretty soon.

I'd like to see the pictures Jeff. What was used to actually mount the tire?

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
It seems the reference to the auction was removed so PM me and I will give the auction number so you can see it,I dont understand why it was removed since it was not on here to advertise the auction but so people could see what I was talking about and now this post is useless.

Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
Just for clarification, he said the spares were mounted in the FRONT fenders.


"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."

1957 GMC 150
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Yes, the post said front fenders but I think 6cylinders comments are well intended and on the mark.
I have seen several 37's.
MY 37 had the spare under the rear. My nephew and I just recently finished up another 37 restoration and it had the indentation on the left/driver side rear fender so the spare could be mounted between the cab and rear fenders. The indentation was so good I agree with 6cylinders on this one.... that indentations on the Rear fenders were custom made... probably "stamped" as the demand would seemingly be greater for the rear than the front.

I will say this. I have a book on engineering stuff for 1937 trucks. I have loaned it to someone but going from memory I believe it showed some pictures of vehicles with front fender spare's.... but in all honesty I think the pics were of a sedan delivery. I'll have to check after I get it back.

Its my opinion that the front fenders for spare tires were probably custom made for the trucks plus the fact that forming stuff by hand back then was not an uncommon thing.

.... just my observations and opinions or .02 on the subject.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 10/29/2009 2:11 PM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Someone is still making the wells for the Fords.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000021d~Z5Z5Z589866~P32.00~~~~~~~F
and here is the mount for the wheel.
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000021a~Z5Z5Z513598~P34.75~~~~~~~F

And I'd bet my pension check that back in the day, there were enterprising body shops the made similar mods for quite a few people.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL



Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0