Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,080 Posts1,056,294 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 5 | Hello from the newest newb. I am working on a '53 Chevy 6500, retired farm truck with 70k on it. It is in very good, mostly original condition. Currently working on the brakes and can't find shoes or springs for the rear. They are 14.5x4" with 2 wheel cylinders per side. NAPA came up with a master cylinder and wheel cylinders but not shoes or springs. Is there a source for these parts? Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | Jim Carter likely has the springs NAPA or one of your local parts houses should be able to send your shoes to be relined. What part of maryland are you in? I'm on the Eastern Shore, Stovebolt HQ is in Southern Maryland.
Last edited by kb3csw; 10/23/2009 3:13 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 5 | I'm in southern MD, Dameron in St. Marys. What is Stovebolt HQ?
NAPA was no help on the shoes. They didn't say anything about relining, I will call them back and check on that.
Who is Jim Carter and how do I contact him? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | Stovebolt HQ is the home of John and Peg Milliman Who created this website. They are located in Mechanicsville Md. Click on the links button at the top of the page and it will bring up a lot of useful links stovebolters have found thru the years. Also check the tech tips button you will find things people have found work for them. Jim Carter is a longtime supplier of vintage chevy and GMC truck parts. His address is www.oldchevytrucks.com be prepared when ordering from aftermarket vendors many parts are now made offshore and will require tweaking to fit including jim carters. | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | Frank, Welcome to the Stovebolt Page! And howdy neighbor! Send me a PM and I will tell you how to get in touch with me. We'll chat about the local sources for shoe relining. I had my '49 6500 rear axle brake shoes relined right here in good ole St. Mary's county.
You're also close to the radiator guy!
Regards, John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 31 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 31 | You'll probably find all the parts you'll need at Adler's Antique Autos. try adlersantiqueautos.com. You'll never meet a more knowledgeable or nicer guy. I speak from experience. Good luck. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | CarQuest had my shoes (54 6500)sitting on the shelf and a master cylinder the next day. Parts are still available, Scott | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 5 | Thanks for all the info! I will check with Carquest and Jim on Monday.
Just so everyone knows... this '53 is not my vehicle, it belongs to a customer. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 5 | So... now I'm told there is early and late '53?? And they have different brakes. Can someone tell by the production number [010503] if this truck is early or late? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | I have my best luck by taking the old wheel cylinder to Carquest and get one of the experienced guys get out the books. Carquest has very good drawings of pre 1962 stuff to match up with. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 165 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 165 | I sent you a E-mail about parts. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 346 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 346 | On your rear brake cylinders the early ones have casting numbers 5453825-4 and 5453825-5.
5453825-4 -> Part No 5453866 Rear Front 5453825-5 -> Part No 5453865 Rear Rear
The second series has casting number 5454251 on both cylinders but one cylinder has an extra tapped hole for the brake hose fitting.
Part No 5454313 Rear Front Part No 5454251 Rear Rear
Another listing refers to 51-53 as having "vertical cylinders" and 53-59 as having "diagonal cylinder".
On 1954's, the short brake line between the cylinders has unique nuts on the flares. I was able to find a pair NOS for $$$ but it saved me a bunch of time trying to make a new pair.
Connector brake line.
'51-'53 Part No: 3697735 '53-'59 Part No: 3704424
I Googled the p/n to find the one's I bought.
'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton '49 Chevy 1/2 ton '54 Chevy 6400 2 ton '55.2 GMC 3/4 ton '56 GMC 1-ton
No Room Left in Shop
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 5 | The second series has casting number 5454251 on both cylinders but one cylinder has an extra tapped hole for the brake hose fitting. This sounds like mine, mostly. See below Another listing refers to 51-53 as having "vertical cylinders" and 53-59 as having "diagonal cylinder". Mine has 'vertical' cylinders, and... On 1954's, the short brake line between the cylinders has unique nuts on the flares. I'm pretty sure the cylinders I got from NAPA are this style. The hole for the cross tube fittings is 7/16x20 instead of 3/8x24 like the ones that came off the truck. Also the holes are angled away from each other farther than the ones from the truck. I did manage to find fittings after several calls but bending the tubes is gonna suck. Maybe I can find the correct cylinders? I will try Jim Carter again. **Mine are the early style, casting #5453825. Problem is my NAPA guy says the early '53 shows only 2 cylinders per vehicle. I'm going to call him back and see if the Chevy part # helps.
Last edited by FrankinMD; 10/28/2009 1:21 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 346 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 346 | Franklin,
You can check the part numbers with NAPA using their web page www:\napaonline.com
On the main screen, look for "Search NAPA Catalog using PartsPro SE" (on the left about 1/2 way down)
Once you're there, put the Chevy part number in the SEARCH box and click the Interchange option. Press the red X and Presto -> NAPA part shows up (or not, as the case may be).
I just checked the early '53 numbers and came up with UP14499 for the Rear Front cylinder and UP14500 for the Rear Rear cylinder. Heart stopping prices, but they are made in the USA and fit correctly.
'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton '49 Chevy 1/2 ton '54 Chevy 6400 2 ton '55.2 GMC 3/4 ton '56 GMC 1-ton
No Room Left in Shop
| | |
| |