Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,140 Posts1,056,464 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 8 | Hello Guys, I am kinda new to these trucks so be gentle! I have always been around farms and these old trucks but lately I have been getting the itch to pick one up for myself. I just need to figure out which one I need! Anyways, I do alot of work on older tractors for local farmers here in Central IL. I went to try and resurect a old John Deere A for a neighbor and he said his grain truck was going down the road and started hammering and the engine just stopped. Now it wont turn over. I went to look at it for him yesterday and we draine the oil pan and got mostly antifreeze out of it. Looked a little higher and found a dent and a hole in the oil pan where apparently a rod had tried to escape. Knowing that there probably wasnt much help for the engine we decided to pull it in the near future. This truck is a 1961 Chevrolet Viking 60, body is in perfect condition and he just put new rubber all the way around. The truck is too good to give up on now. The original motor must have been a 261??? According to the casting numbers on the block and head it appears to have a 1964 292 in it now. . My question is what is the best route to approach this? He has called Jasper and they will rebuild his motor for 2400 bucks, but it will take a little over a month, with harvest season here we are looking for a quicker option. Are these motors available anywhere as a "crate" engine? Would I be better to try and find one locally in a junk yard or something? I would assume when we pull the engine we can leave the transmission setting on the frame member while the engine and clutch is pulled away? I am thinking that the hood and radiator, possibly the front grill will need to come out, correct? Just looking for some input! Thanks, Luke
Bunch of Minneapolis Moline Tractors and Equipment. No bolts yet, just waiting....
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 6,100 | Hy Triple L Paints, firstly we must establish what engine you have. By the year of the truck it should have a 261 in it. 261s and 292s do not share a common bellhousing pattern, so it is very important to establish which engine you are working with. The 216/235/261 engine series has its distributor in the center of the right side of the engine, and a pushrod cover which is held in place with screws around its perimeter. The 230/250/292 series engines have their distributor towards the front on the right side, and their pushrod cover is held in place by bolts in the center of the cover, the 230/250 series pushrod cover is four inches tall, the 292s pushrod cover is six inches tall. Also the 292s engine mounts are not in the same place on either side of the block. You should be able to remove the engine by removing the hood, radiator, fan shroud, and anything else that sits between the engine and radiator. There probably are 230/250/292s sitting somewhere already rebuilt, but I doubt that you'll find an already rebuilt 261. Hope that helps | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 8 | It must be an 292. I can't remember where the distributor was but the side (pushrod) covers are about 6" tall. Any ideas on where to find a rebuilt 292?
Bunch of Minneapolis Moline Tractors and Equipment. No bolts yet, just waiting....
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 7 | I've bookmarked item #120429673512 on eBay for future reference as I don't need one at the moment. Don't know any more than what's listed but the seller is saying the right things! He has a buy-it-now price of $1399 + free shipping to a business address for a rebuilt 292 long block good luck! SB | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 8 | You guys would know better than I would, the Ebay listing shows it for a '73 and up engine. What is the difference between that engine and my '64? Is there something about flywheel bolts that is different? Could someone take a look and let me know. Seems like a good deal to me. Thanks for all the help so far.
Bunch of Minneapolis Moline Tractors and Equipment. No bolts yet, just waiting....
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 7 | Well I'm certainly no expert, but near as I can tell, not much difference - nothing that would not allow them to directly interchange. The 1/2" flywheel bolts are preferred (older versions used 7/16" bolts). Later heads have ports for smog, but can be simply plugged for your purpose. You might want to also check Craiglist etc. locally for one on the cheap - I picked up a complete running used 292 nearby for $300 and am using it to mockup the swap into my '48. sb | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,414 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,414 | My '59 Viking 40 has a 292 also. I think that must have been a common swap after the 261's gave out.
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 942 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 942 | Check with your local Chevy dealer also. The 292 crate engine may be available (if that is actually what you need). It's worth a phone call.
By the way, I have a '59 John Deere 435.
Bill
'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan GMC 9500 Fan Detroit Diesel Fan
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | Another option would be to repower it with a V-8, which was an option for that year truck. It would be a very easy swap if you bought a complete running truck for all of the bits and peices needed, just a thought, Scott | | | | | Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 8 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Oct 2009 Posts: 8 | I found the 292 on ebay that Steve spoke of, it says it is for a '73 and up. Whats the difference?
Bunch of Minneapolis Moline Tractors and Equipment. No bolts yet, just waiting....
| | |
| |