| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,090 Posts1,056,345 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 | What should I consider while preparing for swapping my 216 for a 261 in my '52 Burb? What I've come up with so far is:
-Water pump adapter plate -It has a 12v generator so new regulator -Bellhousing? Do I use the 216's? -flywheel? -Clutch? -Accelerator modification?
I'm sure there are others but this is what I've come up with so far.
Thanks | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | What year 261? Some of the suggestions below are different for different years.
-Water pump adapter plate - Yes, and a 1952 water pump
-It has a 12v generator so new regulator - Yes (and a ballast resister)
-Bellhousing? Do I use the 216's? - Yes (and, you might have to modify the front plate on the block for the front motor mount)
-flywheel? - use the 261's flywheel (12v starter?) -Clutch? - use the 261's set
-Accelerator modification? - most likely. You should be able to use the bell-crank and up-rod to the carburetor; however, the pedal to bell-crank rod might have to be shortened.
Tim
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 2,074 | Just keep everything stock from bellhousing back and do not swap starters, flywheels etc keep those 216 pieces. Guys get into trouble on this thinking they need a 12v starter when your 6 volts starter LOVES 12 volts. I've had my 46 and 261 motor together for 20 years, still using the foot starter. Stock accelerator/bellcrank on side of block, these items may need tweeking if you go to multi carbs or 4 barrel, otherwise all should be fine. I went with the next size up 11" truck clutch just because I had the parts (takes different flywheel, pressure plate and disc).
You can use the the 261 flywheel but you cannot then use your old 6 volt starter, these thing must be kept as a set as the geers must match.
And get a Patrick's catalog, how to section covers all this stuff.
Last edited by JiMerit; 10/10/2009 3:44 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 217 | | | |
| |
| |