Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Brian Moore, 2-Ton),
158
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | Hey guys, I would rather powder coat my 5 rims, but the quoted price would be $500, half of which is sandblasting the epoxy primer that I sprayed on after blasting the first time! Ugh. I can't afford that. Do you guys have any suggestions on a tough gloss black paint? Or should I go base/clear? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 Moderator | | Moderator Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 4,215 | I painted my stock 16" rims body colour. In hindsight, I should'a painted them gray, just my thoughts. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | Did you have any chipping or scratching issues when the tires were squeezed on? That is my biggest worry. Since these rims are already in Eastwoods epoxy I was looking at their Urethane Enamel. They also have just Urethane that is a lot cheaper. I wonder what the difference in durability is? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 166 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 166 | Tremclad High Gloss Paint. Tough as nails,...did my bus rims with them. I think the U.S you guys call it Rustoleum. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | Called Eastwoods and they suggested their Ceramic Chassis Black. I used the Extreme Chassis Black on my frame but didn't consider it for the rims. I guess the Ceramic version is UV resistant and it can go directly on top of the epoxy. I just hope it is as tough as they claim and produces a nice gloss. I will let you know! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 | My suggestion would be to mount the tires first then paint. I don't know of any fresh paint that will stand up to a tire machine or tire mounting tools. Here's the trick I use. Mount the tires but don't air them up, this will leave a gap between the rim and the tire. I then take some cardboard and press it down on the rim edge to give me the pattern to cut the cardboard, which I cut just a little larger that the pattern. I do this with two pieces to slip into the gap between the tire and rim. Apply a little tape to keep it in place and the tire is masked off for painting. When the paint is cured air up the tire and wala, done, and no chips in the paint from mounting the tire. I usually have to go to some appliance store to find big cardboard like what covered a frig or dryer. Dan
Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it. 101st Screaming Eagles
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | Good idea Dan. Since the Ceramic Chassis Black doesn't require a clearcoat I could spray the rims, mount the tires without air, then follow your directions to take care of any scratches. I like it.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | Yup I agree with Dans post and his technique...even them NEW TOUCHLESS tire machines that do not touch the rim...they use for aluminum rims now in most BETTER shops ...will still tear up paint when the tire bead rolls over the painted edge. Tim | | | | | Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 70 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2009 Posts: 70 | i've sprayed rustoleum white paint (not from rattle cans) over bad old crumby rims and taken them to big o tires and they all were delviered to me fine - no scratches or rubbed off paint...they look pretty good for $8 worth of paint on the junky things that they were. before pic after pic | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 190 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 190 | I painted my bike one year with acrylic-urethane AmerFlint Paint, I could not scratch or chip that paint for nothing. When I did take it to the blasters they could hardly dull the paint in the first blasting. I had to pay a bit extra for them to blast it enough to get the paint off. They were extremely impressed with how tough the paint was. I am not sure if you can get this paint anymore. I know when I get ready to paint I will be looking for it again. That was the toughest paint I have ever seen. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Yup I agree with Dans post and his technique...even them NEW TOUCHLESS tire machines that do not touch the rim...they use for aluminum rims now in most BETTER shops ...will still tear up paint when the tire bead rolls over the painted edge. Tim If they're using it properly, and have the duckhead setup correctly, the bead will not roll over the rim lip. The duckhead will roll it in without touching the wheel. They also have to use the proper lube for mounting. Unfortunatly, alot of younger tire techs have a nasty habit of not setting the machine correctly, and many will even try to mount the tires dry. Then they wonder why they have so much trouble. If you can find someone really good at mounting tires, they can be put on without any tools at all.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | Mount the tires but don't air them up, this will leave a gap between the rim and the tire. Dan Man, am I glad I read this... I've been wondering how best to get this done myself... brilliant and simple! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 502 | The only thing I can add is if your cardboard mask is not large enough to block the tire from overspray I wrap the tire with an old sheet before the cardboard goes on and that will keep any floating around overspray from getting on the tire. Paint the front side last if your doing both sides, there's always a little overspray going through the center hole. Dan
Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it. 101st Screaming Eagles
| | |
| |