| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (CuzzFuzz),
83
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,135 Posts1,056,423 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2000 Posts: 804 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2000 Posts: 804 | Ok, I know this has been asked a million times and I should know the answer myself but I have to ask.
I have a buddy with a little driver 51. He wants a taller rear end. I want the 55 passenger car rear he has in it so this is good. Anyway, I know something like a 67-69 Camaro will bolt in, (with re-drilling the thru bolt hole of course) or I imagine the same vintage Nova.
Any others I could tell him about?
He is going to go hunting for a rear and I want the most chances for him to find one.
The truck does have 5 lug on the front so I am looking for a 5 on 4 3/4 Chevy passenger car pattern with 3.00 or so ratio.
Brian Brian
1948 Chevy Pickup Chopped and sectioned owned since 1974 when I was 15.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | Brian ,This comes from the Tech Tips here on Stovebolt. As you'll see it gives a lot of dimensions, but no ratios. Your friend will have to fiqure that part out himself. http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Suspension_Widths.html#Suspension
Drew
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 | You might check out the 3rd generation Camaro diffs. (5 on 4-3/4 bolt pattern, 62" wheel mounting surface to mounting surface) I'm running an 1988 3.42 from behind a 2.8L V6 with a .72 T5 from an S10. The most common ratios are 3.08 and 3.42 with an occasional 3.73.
Being a coil spring diff you have to scrub off all the unnecessary brackets and weld on new spring perches (1-3/4 trailer perches from Tractor supply). The axle tubes are 2-5/8 so it's a good idea to use a piece of 1/8 x 1" flat stock as a shim if you're going to use 3" U-bolts. The stock emergency brake cables can be tied into the AD emergency brakes so try to save them. The Camaro rear sway bar is a perfect fit (39" eye to eye) when mounted on top of the diff with the control links forward of the diff. The IROC-z Australian made Borg Warner diffs are posi/discs, primarily in 3.08 but the axle seals are not available from GM dealers. Never did find any aftermarket seals. Posi/disc is tempting but be forewarned.
Although these diffs require a bit more prep to get them set up for the AD truck, I've found they are for the most part, in pretty good shape with lower mileage, readily available and normally $100.-$150.00.
With a 3-1/2 to 4" backspaced rim they will center in the AD wheelwell. Check out the install pics in my webshots album. Hope this helps.
Dave | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | Have him call Moser and they'll make it any way he wants, Scott | | |
| |
| |