The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (JW51, TUTS 59), 133 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,362
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 39
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 39
I'm sure it's been discussed but one more time please.....I'm considering putting a small block in my 51 1/2ton. Does the steering box have to be moved??? Is there someone who makes the engine mounts that offset the engine or offset the box?

How about a big block? I've had one in another 51 but it also had a Camaro sub frame.

Thanks,
Tom


1951 Chev.P.U. Streetrod-project
1951 Chev cpe 261 5-speed-50%
1953 Chev cpe 350/700-95%
1962 Chev Bubbletop 409 -75%
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
I just saw it mentioned that a '55 265 left manifold will clear without moving the steering box. This is second hand info,but sounds like it'll work to me. (If you can find 'em,it might be good to go with a set from a '55,just for synchronicity. {balance})
For a bigblock,I think the subframe is a better idea.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 33
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 33
Tom,

check out this website...I checked it myself and it works...

http://www.speedprint.com/Deves50/doc/v8stovebolt.pdf


51 1/2 ton-455 rocket!
49 1/2 ton panel-rocket-to-be!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 38
Thanks for posting that link.
Bill

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
There is lots of good info on that over and above the part on steering.I used that method to move my box out 1 3/4". I don't have an arc welder though so for the top plate I added the width of the frame under the original bolting place of the box and bolted the plate to the frame. It worked excellent.
Lothar

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 13
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 13
A Chevy 350 cleared my stock steering on my 55 2nd series.


Working on my 55 2nd series to make it a daily driver.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?journalid=26732&action=view
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
Well, my next truck will either already be converted or a 55 2nd series or newer. Now I know why I stuck with 55-57 chevies cars all these years , they make working on them a picknick compared to my 53 AD. I think it will be wirth it once every think is finished though.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
Has any one ever used the Turbo 350 side mounts for 55-57 pass cars? They work excellent in those cars, so I eyeballed them up in my 53. They looked like they would work perfect, all you'd have to do is drill holes in the crossmember(you cut the center section out of it and weld it back in 2" lower.Then all you'd need is the 57 front mount system and a simple cross member.You wouldn't need the trany mount then because you have a side/front mount system.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0