| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,091 Posts1,056,387 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#56877 02/21/2006 8:52 PM | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 39 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 39 | I'm sure it's been discussed but one more time please.....I'm considering putting a small block in my 51 1/2ton. Does the steering box have to be moved??? Is there someone who makes the engine mounts that offset the engine or offset the box?
How about a big block? I've had one in another 51 but it also had a Camaro sub frame.
Thanks, Tom
1951 Chev.P.U. Streetrod-project 1951 Chev cpe 261 5-speed-50% 1953 Chev cpe 350/700-95% 1962 Chev Bubbletop 409 -75%
| | |
#56878 02/22/2006 7:52 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | I just saw it mentioned that a '55 265 left manifold will clear without moving the steering box. This is second hand info,but sounds like it'll work to me. (If you can find 'em,it might be good to go with a set from a '55,just for synchronicity. {balance}) For a bigblock,I think the subframe is a better idea. Speed | | |
#56880 02/23/2006 2:20 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 38 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 38 | Thanks for posting that link. Bill | | |
#56881 02/24/2006 6:16 PM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 299 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 299 | There is lots of good info on that over and above the part on steering.I used that method to move my box out 1 3/4". I don't have an arc welder though so for the top plate I added the width of the frame under the original bolting place of the box and bolted the plate to the frame. It worked excellent. Lothar | | |
#56882 02/27/2006 10:26 PM | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 13 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 13 | A Chevy 350 cleared my stock steering on my 55 2nd series. | | |
#56883 02/28/2006 1:32 AM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 299 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 299 | Well, my next truck will either already be converted or a 55 2nd series or newer. Now I know why I stuck with 55-57 chevies cars all these years , they make working on them a picknick compared to my 53 AD. I think it will be wirth it once every think is finished though. | | |
#56884 02/28/2006 2:47 AM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 299 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 299 | Has any one ever used the Turbo 350 side mounts for 55-57 pass cars? They work excellent in those cars, so I eyeballed them up in my 53. They looked like they would work perfect, all you'd have to do is drill holes in the crossmember(you cut the center section out of it and weld it back in 2" lower.Then all you'd need is the 57 front mount system and a simple cross member.You wouldn't need the trany mount then because you have a side/front mount system. | | |
| |
| |