The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 83 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#565398 08/15/2009 5:29 PM
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
I did a search but found nothing related to this

A friend told me about a remote vacuum powered brake assist. I guess you can mount it any where on the truck and connect it to your brake system (to the hydrolic lines) and vacuum system and it will assist in increasing the stopping power without increased leg power.

I would have to change my fuel pump to a dual fuel/vac pump for it to function properly but that is probably a good idea anyway.
Anyone know about these vac activated brake assists?

Thanks
Rich



1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
anyone heard of this?


1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Hydro-Vac. Mostly found on 1 1/2 ton and larger GM trucks, standard equpment on many 2 ton and larger after '55. It was an option on the 1/2-1 tons starting around 1955. It's more or less a second master cylinder with a booster on it. I've seen them mounted in various locations, usually on the frame under the cab on the passenger side rail. They can be found in salvage yards, but overhaul parts are difficult, if not impossible, to get. That's why I passed on one I could have got for $5, couldn't get parts.
A modern equivalent would be the Midland Booster. Jeg's and Summit both carry them. those are commonly used on Pro-Mod and Pro Street cars, and mount bqasically the same.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
I believe he'd be meaning the hydrovac or multi-vac units standard on the big bolts, doesn't have any connection to the fuel pump [uses intake vacuum], that double acting pump is for vacuum wiper assist

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,028
Thanks guys

Does anyone make an aftermarket remote similar to these for an upgrade?

Rich


1953 3/4-Ton Chevy

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix

If it can be built ... It can be fixed.

RB53
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I checked out Jegs, Summit, and even Speedway, none of them list it anymore. But I did find this site that has listings for rebuilt originals. Might be worth checking out.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
Just go to a truck and powertrain shop, you can still buy the older hydro's. I just bought one identical to my 48's earlier this year but doesn't really need to be exactly the same. Go ask an expert at the truck shop,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 54
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 54
I have a new hydro vac for sale, never been used. let me know if interested [email protected]. I bought it on ebay, but I never installed, I can send pictures.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0